Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

What the manufacturer says about using Pitocin for elective inductions

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:38 AM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

Here is the insert included with Pitocin, which is given in an IV drip to induce labor. It is a very good tool to help with post-partum hemorrhaging. It is a great tool to help deliver a placenta that is having problems detaching from the wall. It is a great tool to help start labor, when it is medical indicated. However, the maker of this medicine states it in not to be used for elective inductions.

"IMPORTANT NOTICE

Elective induction of labor is defined as the initiation of labor in a pregnant individual who has no medical indications for induction. Since the available data are inadequate to evaluate the benefits-to risks considerations, Pitocin is not indicated for elective induction of labor."

You can read the insert from the manufacturer here it is at the top left, in a box. 

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
orangeshirt
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this
They don't call it the pits for nothin!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM
2 moms liked this

True story!  We actually just went over this in nursing school- it is NOT for elective inductions!!

Even for "medically indicated" inductions, it doesn't always work, even if the Bishop score is high enough.

Thanks for sharing, mama!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

AmandaN1
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I have back and forth issues on this.  

I had one child, he came on his own no biggie. 

My daughter however was a little stubborn.  I had constant but not consistent contractions starting at 36-37 weeks. By 37weeks I was dilated to a 2.  A week later a 4, then nothing until she was born.  However at one point I thought I was leaking fluid, tests said negative, got sent home from the hospital.  At my next appointment, there was an u/s done to make sure nothing was preventing my daughter from dropping (pretty much the only thing stopping labor).  The fluid level was low but not at a scary level.  We ended up inducing and she was born exactly at 40weeks.  I think by some people's standards my induction was not "necessary".  But after she was born my midwife was finding spots in the placenta that were already starting to calcify.  Had we not done the induction and waited another week, who knows how it could have accelerated by that point.   
I do think that being induced "just cuz" isn't the best idea.  But in my case it ended up being a really good thing.

So now I shall step down from my soap box lol 

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

It is important to weigh the risks and benefits of any and all procedures and to "go with your gut" even at times. You did this. It worked for you. You made an informed choice with your provider. You are happy with your outcome. That is perfect and great! I LOVE to hear these stories!!! : ) Unfortunately, there is a breakdown in communication with a provider (doctor OR midwife!) at times and not all of the facts are presented, a woman is just told it is "safe" or it's a "walk in the park" (not joking a provider told a woman that about an elective pit induction!) or any number of other things, that are not factual. I am not against inductions- even elective inductions- or doctors or midwives. I am just providing information for women to have when they talk with their providers about the risks and benefits of their options. How old is your LO? : )  

Quoting AmandaN1:

My daughter however was a little stubborn.  I had constant but not consistent contractions starting at 36-37 weeks. By 37weeks I was dilated to a 2.  A week later a 4, then nothing until she was born.  However at one point I thought I was leaking fluid, tests said negative, got sent home from the hospital.  At my next appointment, there was an u/s done to make sure nothing was preventing my daughter from dropping (pretty much the only thing stopping labor).  The fluid level was low but not at a scary level.  We ended up inducing and she was born exactly at 40weeks.  I think by some people's standards my induction was not "necessary".  But after she was born my midwife was finding spots in the placenta that were already starting to calcify.  Had we not done the induction and waited another week, who knows how it could have accelerated by that point.   
I do think that being induced "just cuz" isn't the best idea.  But in my case it ended up being a really good thing.

AmandaN1
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I completely agree with you. In fact I still don't like inductions. I didn't want to do one. But I just had to with her, like you said that gut feeling. So I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite maybe? LOL.  I also hate that women are told to do things instead of giving facts to make a decision.  So many think that doctors are the absolute word and they have to do everything their told, when it should be the docs giving advice and support for women to make a good choice.  

She will be 14 months in a week. :)

Quoting louzannalady:

It is important to weigh the risks and benefits of any and all procedures and to "go with your gut" even at times. You did this. It worked for you. You made an informed choice with your provider. You are happy with your outcome. That is perfect and great! I LOVE to hear these stories!!! : ) Unfortunately, there is a breakdown in communication with a provider (doctor OR midwife!) at times and not all of the facts are presented, a woman is just told it is "safe" or it's a "walk in the park" (not joking a provider told a woman that about an elective pit induction!) or any number of other things, that are not factual. I am not against inductions- even elective inductions- or doctors or midwives. I am just providing information for women to have when they talk with their providers about the risks and benefits of their options. How old is your LO? : )  

Quoting AmandaN1:

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:33 PM

: ) We all have our "things", that we know better and do or that we are quirky about. : ) Fourteen months! That is so neat! Have a 22 month old and a four month. And two dogs. Never a dull moment over here! : ) 

Quoting AmandaN1:

I completely agree with you. In fact I still don't like inductions. I didn't want to do one. But I just had to with her, like you said that gut feeling. So I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite maybe? LOL.  I also hate that women are told to do things instead of giving facts to make a decision.  So many think that doctors are the absolute word and they have to do everything their told, when it should be the docs giving advice and support for women to make a good choice.  

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting AmandaN1:

AmandaN1
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.  If it wasn't for that low fluid level, I wouldn't have done it.
Tell me about it! I have a 6yr old (SS), almost 4yr old (bday in 10 days hehe) and then the 14 month old and due with #4 in July.   I must be a nut  ;-) 

Quoting louzannalady:

: ) We all have our "things", that we know better and do or that we are quirky about. : ) Fourteen months! That is so neat! Have a 22 month old and a four month. And two dogs. Never a dull moment over here! : ) 

Quoting AmandaN1:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting AmandaN1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)