Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

stripping membranes question.

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:03 PM
  • 15 Replies
I just had my membranes stripped today and every since I've had horrible pressure and cramps. All asking with some contractions. Has anyone have this happen? What did you feel afterwards. And also did it work for you? I know while she did it I went from 3 to 4cm. I'm also 39 weeks
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
msswisher08
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Sorry the wording is all messed up my phone Hates me lol
msswisher08
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Bump
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Yes.  It is pretty normal afterwards to have pressure and cramps.  I just had to wait to see if they continued.  They continued for one of my pregnancies, and another one, they stopped.  Good luck!

Kaitlynsmom913
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Same here

Quoting meam4444:

Yes.  It is pretty normal afterwards to have pressure and cramps.  I just had to wait to see if they continued.  They continued for one of my pregnancies, and another one, they stopped.  Good luck!

HisB0107
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Definitely normal. I had mine done last week (thought it didn't amount to anything) Well the doc tried, he said he couldn't quite, I was only 1cm, and didn't stretch very far. He had short little fingers though. I had spotting, a little bit of mucous plug showed, tremendous pressure and cramping and a few contractions here and there. Ended up going away. 

I had it done with my DD twice. Once at about 39 weeks and then again at 40 1/2 weeks. The one at 39 weeks barely did anything for me, I felt cramps and pressure but that was about it. The one at 40 1/2 weeks worked though. I went into labor 2 hours later. I had the bloody show, loads of cramps that led to contractions that were very timeable. I had my daughter about 14 hours after I had my membranes stripped.

musicpisces
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Normal- that's part of why they do it, to stimulate contractions.  Irritating the cervix can lead to contractions, and they hope that it stimulates prostaglandins to dilate the cervix.  It's only moderately effective.  Definitely not a comfortable procedure!  I think I went into labor a week later (it's been over 4 years, so I don't remember exactly).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

lucaslexie
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:24 PM
Had mine stripped 4 pm on a Thursday was in horrible pain. Was scheduled to induce on sat morning but I went in labor Friday afternoon. I was a good 4 cm when he stripped. It was very painful .....Gl!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
treaH
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:28 PM
I delivered 5 hours after i had mine stripped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

The pressure and contractions are the goal in membrane sweeping, as it is a form of induction and the point is the try and start labor. Here is more information and studies to help you understand the process better and learn of the benefit and risks involved. I am really very worried that your provider violated your right to informed consent by not telling you why he or she was performing a procedure, what the benefits of it are and what the risks involved are, and what other options you have, including doing nothing. Here is more information about your rights as a patient. *hug* Best wishes!

msswisher08
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM
Ugh cramps are still there but no contractions guess she's waiting for my inducement tomorrow...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN