Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Will I Know?!

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:01 AM
  • 4 Replies

So- I'm 40 weeks pregnant, due tomorrow. I havent really had true contractions but I feel a TREMENDOUS amount of pressure in my pelvis and lower back. Will I know when Im in labor? Im in a lot of pain but really it isnt contractions. I know I may seem weak.. but Im terrified of not making it to the hospital in time for an epidural. I dont want to miss the signs. Any advice, welcome. I go back to the doctor on Wednesday.. should I just wait until then for answers?

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
chamelinmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Believe me mama, you will know. it will be very constant...the last thing you will want to do is go to the hospital prematurely. They will most likely send you home. Wait until your contractions are 3 mins apart before going in(ive had 4 and expecting my 5th and never walked in there too late). Relax, take a bath maybe it will help your pain. Walk as much as you can to help get stuff started or even squats...When they say you feel like you cant talk though it, they mean it. It feels like something grabbing your side muscles and going up and up tensing your stomach up into a knot. try moving though it. For me, this time, ive been doing belly dancing for pregnancy, if i miss it a few days, my hips are in so much pain i literatly can not walk, but it helps my pain so much that i bairly feel it when i do the belly dancing. I cant wait to use it for labor

gacgbaker
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I never really knew when I was in labor- my husband could tell more then I could- so I really depended on him to tell me it was time to go.  I would go ahead and call the doctor if you are concerned about labor though.  

doulala
by Emerald Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Usually we do know, yes.

Its helpful to be prepared to labor (and cope) at home for a good while before going in to avoid unnecessary interventions (unnecessary risks) though.      You might go in but wont be admitted for a long while (days, weeks), hard to know now...   So you might labor at home for a few hours-a few days.     You might want to prepare some coping techniques and get your supporters on board too.   

GL!
:-)

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

EricaND
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Thank you all so much.. the pressure has now turned in to contractions that are about 20 minutes a part and really distinct. Im glad I didnt rush right to the hospital. I plan on staying at home as long as possible but still with enough time for needed medicinal intervention. Thanks for easing my mind.. hopefully not much longer!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)