Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Couple forced to make tough decision during 'miracle' pregnancy :(

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:56 AM
  • 27 Replies

Couple forced to make tough decision during 'miracle' pregnancy

HOUSTON (KHOU/CBS) - More women are waiting later in life to start or expand their families, but a mother in her 40s found out just how big a trial that can be.

Zel Burns said about a year ago her 7-year-old son wrote a letter to God asking for a sibling.

Burns was 41 at the time, and she thought her odds of getting pregnant without assistance were slim. After a few discouraging months and a failed pregnancy the Burns decided they were done.

"Come back in a month, and we'll take care of it, and I came back in a month and I was pregnant," Burns said. "We sat, waited for an ultrasound. The radiologist comes in and matter-of-factly says, ‘We see three heartbeats.' I was like, wait! No, you didn't say three."

Dr. Brian Kirshon, an OB/GYN who specializes in high-risk obstetrics, noted just how rare his patient's case is, said this type of pregnancy is 1 in 1 million.

But the Burns' first real challenge came at about 18 weeks when two of the babies developed a condition called twin-to-twin transfusion. That happens when one baby is taking all the fluids and nutrients from the other.

Zel and her husband were forced to decide to lose one of their baby girls to save the others.

"Selective reduction," Zel said. "You want me to choose, and I'm finally wrapping my mind around this, and now you're telling me, ‘Well no, it's not working out.'"

Zel is now in her 34th week and on bed rest while carrying the other two babies.

Meanwhile, big brother is more than ready to welcome his baby sisters, and dad is ready to dote on his daughters.

"I'll be rocking away," Errol Burns said. "One here and one there."

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MeghanPerez
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:58 AM
That's so sad. I can't imagine having to make a decision like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rayroe2
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM

That would be a hard decision to make but I would of picked the sickest of the three.

sparklebug86
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM
2 moms liked this

hubbys sister was told the same thing about her twins but she didnt reduce and they are both healthy 4 year olds. I would never choose to reduce

mommaboudreaux
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:04 AM

:(

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:17 AM
So sad
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LaughingTattoo
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Thats not always the best choice though. Your SIL was really lucky. My friend unfortunately not so much. She lost both her babies at 38 weeks bc she couldnt choose to make the sacrifice for one :(

That would be one of the hardest decisions. Im so happy it turned out well for your SIL though

Quoting sparklebug86:

hubbys sister was told the same thing about her twins but she didnt reduce and they are both healthy 4 year olds. I would never choose to reduce

sparklebug86
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:23 AM

why would they wait until 38 weeks? Twins dont generally gestate that long anways. If they were struggling, they would keep them in as long as possible but watch them closely and take them when necessary. Obviously that makes them high risk so you watch them closely.... 

Im sorry for your friend but it doesnt sound like she had great care

Quoting LaughingTattoo:

Thats not always the best choice though. Your SIL was really lucky. My friend unfortunately not so much. She lost both her babies at 38 weeks bc she couldnt choose to make the sacrifice for one :(

That would be one of the hardest decisions. Im so happy it turned out well for your SIL though

Quoting sparklebug86:

CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:28 AM
At 18 weeks I might do that. Horrible choice to have to make. If they were viable, no.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
monkeybelle83
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I really don't think anyone can say, without being IN the situation exactly what they would do. It's an impossible choice.

mama2gg
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I think she made a very HARD personal choice but I would have done the SAME THING!! congrats to her!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)