Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

*PIOG* Should I go to Thanksgiving?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM
  • 19 Replies

Sorry this is long, but I need some advice. I live 6 hours from my family and only get to see them maybe 2-3 times per year, so holidays are very important for me. I've been looking forward to thanksgiving with my family for months. We are scheduled to leave tomorrow.

Well, over a month ago my brother came down with bacterial pneumonia. It was really bad.. there was one day he completely lost from his memory. It took him a long time to recover. He ended up passing the sickness to his wife, my other brother, and my other brother's girlfriend. It was apparently really nasty. My mom told me she was, for once, glad I was not in the area since I am pregnant and have a toddler.

Well, I find out today, the day before I am supposed to leave, that my brother's girlfriend still has full-fledge pneumonia symptoms. She is on strong meds for it, but she is coming to Thanksgiving and is bringing her parents to meet my family for the first time. Also, today, my niece came down with the flu and will be contagious for 48 hours. I am very worried because I don't really want my child around such bad illness and also myself, being 13 weeks pregnant. I've done a little research and pregnant women are much more susceptible to pneumonia - with side effects ranging from hospitalization, to premature birth, to mortality of the pregnant woman. I recently had a miscarriage so I am extra cautious with this baby.

I could just not go, but it's frustrating that I have to stay away because someone else is sick. Also, my mom would be really upset and disappointed if we don't go.. she would probably cry and might even order my brother's girlfriend and her family not to come (which I don't want to be responsible for, especially since she is bringing her parents to thanksgiving to meet my family for the first time).

My friend says to go and just avoid contact with them and wash hands.. but I don't really understand that because we will all be in the same two rooms together for the majority of two days. Also, I am completely out of sick time at work so I would be forced to work through whatever illness I might catch or lose my job.

What should I do? :(

BabyFruit Ticker
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whattodo11
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM
Tough spot! I am not sure what I would do in this situation, but here is a bump!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emilytrademark
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM

BUMP!

Emilytrademark
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Thanks !

Quoting whattodo11:

Tough spot! I am not sure what I would do in this situation, but here is a bump!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
rockyhugs35
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM
In sure you really want to be with your family. But I don't tho it's smart to put you or your dd in danger of catching that. It seems like its really going around your family. You my opinion. I'm ire that your family will understand <3
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Emilytrademark
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I agree, though they are not the most understanding. My mom will cry I am sure. I don't want to put everybody out just because I am worried, you know? That being said, I have to think about my self and my two babies right now.... :-/

Quoting rockyhugs35:

In sure you really want to be with your family. But I don't tho it's smart to put you or your dd in danger of catching that. It seems like its really going around your family. You my opinion. I'm ire that your family will understand <3

BabyFruit Ticker
lovemyhoney19
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:39 PM
I think you shouldn't go. I wouldn't. What they have is contagious and you need to look out for your health and your baby's health. Unless they are willing to wear masks..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emilytrademark
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Yeah I know... I was messaging my husband about it and he just replied with a picture of a white mask. Thanks honey.

Anyway, I just don't want to put anyone out... I don't want to make the girlfriend feel like she isn't welcome on my behalf. And, I don't want anyone to feel like they were the reason I couldn't come. I really like her. She has been looking forward to Thanksgiving for months too...we talk online. She has cancer, if that makes any difference at all :-/

Quoting lovemyhoney19:

I think you shouldn't go. I wouldn't. What they have is contagious and you need to look out for your health and your baby's health. Unless they are willing to wear masks..

BabyFruit Ticker
boshs1andonly
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM

If it were me, I wouldn't go. it would be one thing if they were sick weeks ago but were all better now. if someone can still make you and your lo sick, I understand why you wouldn't want to go (and I also get why you wouldn't want someone to be uninvited on your account). so I think that you staying home is the most practical solution. it sucks, i'm sure, because you want to see them. but it's not worth putting you and your new lo at risk to get so sick. 

Emilytrademark
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Thank you, I feel like it's kind of a lose-lose situation. It wouldn't be a hard decision at all if not for my mother, who I know will be overly disappointed. I just texted her to get her thoughts on the matter...waiting for response. :-/

Quoting boshs1andonly:

If it were me, I wouldn't go. it would be one thing if they were sick weeks ago but were all better now. if someone can still make you and your lo sick, I understand why you wouldn't want to go (and I also get why you wouldn't want someone to be uninvited on your account). so I think that you staying home is the most practical solution. it sucks, i'm sure, because you want to see them. but it's not worth putting you and your new lo at risk to get so sick. 

BabyFruit Ticker
nikkifam5
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Personally , if I had out of town family coming for the holidays, and me or my family was sick, then I would be the one to keep away while the out of town family was there. You only come once or twice a year and no offense but thay should have the respect to stay away from those who are healthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)