Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

32+5 weeks, told baby will be coming anytime, advise please! I'm so scared. :(

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:25 PM
  • 42 Replies

My baby boy is due January 12th but today at my checkup dr. Told us to prepare for him right away. She said I was fully effaced and he was dropped completely into birth canal. They sent me to l & d for steroid shot and another in the morning. They gave us a tour of the nicu until and tried to  make us feel better. I'm scared to death. Do the steroid shots really help? How long does a 33 week baby normally stay in nicu? Any input will be helpful. Thank you.

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kilahchaos
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:27 PM

The steroid shots are to help speed up your babies lung development. 33 weeks IS early, however, your baby should be ok. How long they stay in the NICU depends on the situation when baby comes out. Weight, lungs, breathing, eating, motor function, digestive function, jaundice levels, all have a part in when baby will be able to be released.

I hope everything goes well for you!

Cullen.Girlie.
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Oh hun! I'm sorry!! I have nothing but prayers for you!! I am 32 weeks today...due January 16th...and I would be just as scared!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Chelsea_rh
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:33 PM
The steroid shots work. My brother came when my mom was 6 months pregnant. He was tiny...but now he is 6 foot 2 and healthy as can be. Id be scared too but please don't stress!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Laulaulu321
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:34 PM
I'd be scared too. My cousin was 26 weeks when she had her son though. Just sharing my story to make you feel better. He was 2 lbs :( but she would pump milk and visit her son a lot. It was hard but he caught up pretty fast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikkifam5
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Are you dilating or contracting? I was 1cm and 30% from 33-39 weeks then went into labor. How about bedrest?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2my2boys
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:35 PM
the steriod shot shoiuld help mature the babys lungs...my friends daughter was born at 31weeks she weighed 2lbs she was doing fine didnt need oxygen by the 2nd day was planning on coming home before halloween but she became septic (a leak in her small intestines) so she had surgery to remove it out of her stomach and just on monday had it put back in and now she weighs 4lb 5oz she is (ges age 38 weeks now) and she is doing great....it all depends on baby. some babies born at 38 weeks have issues and need nicu some born early need lil help some need not much. i will pray everything will be fine for your lil man. i heard that baby born early cannot leave the nicu till after 35 weeks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:37 PM
That was my first thought, bedrest! Get off ur feet and keep that baby in there!

Quoting nikkifam5:

Are you dilating or contracting? I was 1cm and 30% from 33-39 weeks then went into labor. How about bedrest?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikkifam5
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM
Exactly. And if she isn't dilating that's a good sign. She can go a few more weeks on bedrest.

Quoting lillucky8:

That was my first thought, bedrest! Get off ur feet and keep that baby in there!

Quoting nikkifam5:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcrab28
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Yes, full bedrest and I'm just over 1 cm dialted. Thanks ladies, I'm praying he stays longer. Dr sounded pretty confident he would be here with the next few days. Hopefully she's wrong.

nikkifam5
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:41 PM
You could be like that for quite sometime. He's probably just preparing you just incase. Stay off your feet and keep us updated!

Quoting jcrab28:

Yes, full bedrest and I'm just over 1 cm dialted. Thanks ladies, I'm praying he stays longer. Dr sounded pretty confident he would be here with the next few days. Hopefully she's wrong.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)