Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gestational Diabetes....false positive on the 3 hr?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM
  • 10 Replies

So I failed the first one by a small margin.  I had the two abnormal values required for the diagnosis on the 3 hr. but one of those values was only 2 above the goal (my 2 hour).  

The midwife said to change my diet (drastically) and do the standard monitoring.  

Here's the thing:  I haven't changed my diet and not 1 value thus far has approached the 130 mark that they want my reading to be.  

Is it possible for the 3 hour to be wrong?  

I'm still going to keep testing, of course.  I'm just wondering.  

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
queenXofXmean
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Mine is the same..i still eat what i want but at the 2hr after i eat they want mine to be below 120..and so far ive been doing great..sometimes i have bad days but that just helps know what to avoid
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Sounds like me :)  

They just want me doing the 1 hr. and not the 2.  I ate a "bad" dinner last night with no protein whatsoever and only carbs.  My 1 hr. was high after that, so I know I have to have protein with every meal and should be fine.  

Apparently it *wasn't* a false positive, I just hadn't eaten a trigger yet! 

Quoting queenXofXmean:

Mine is the same..i still eat what i want but at the 2hr after i eat they want mine to be below 120..and so far ive been doing great..sometimes i have bad days but that just helps know what to avoid

queenXofXmean
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:12 AM
How far along are you...im 33wks... having to deal with this is stressful..

Quoting anxiousschk:

Sounds like me :)  

They just want me doing the 1 hr. and not the 2.  I ate a "bad" dinner last night with no protein whatsoever and only carbs.  My 1 hr. was high after that, so I know I have to have protein with every meal and should be fine.  

Apparently it *wasn't* a false positive, I just hadn't eaten a trigger yet! 

Quoting queenXofXmean:

queenXofXmean
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Bump
-Mommy-2-Three-
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM

It really varies from one women to another, my hospital at first had me checking 1 hr post meals & 2 hr post meals because for some women their BS spikes really high really quick (1 hr) but then drops really quick (2 hr) so if they only test 2 hr they'd be fine (like me)............some women take longer for the BS to spike so 1 hr is fine but 2 hr is high, based on my findings my Dr had me checking 1 hr post meals because my blood sugars were almost always normal at 2 hr post but were occasionally high in the 1 hr spike!

Also, different foods will affect BS differently, like juice for examply will hit ur BS fast but things more complex like pizza may take longer to break down & get into your system so watch how different things affect you to learn what you can & cant eat...........IMO

If you had failed 1 of the 3 tests i'd say possibly wrong but with 2 i'd say no simply because a non diabetic should never really see an elevated BS level regardless what they eat, especially if you failed your fasting level then i'd say its probably right :( since fasting is more about your liver sugars then anything which you cant really control with diet unfortunately!

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I didn't fail my fasting.  

I consistently have an excellent fasting BS level.  

I actually do think it's quite possible for a non diabetic to see fluctuations in blood sugar.  I know many non diabetics who see rises and drops depending on the food that is eaten.  

You won't fail one of the 3 hour marks and get a diagnosis unless your numbers are really high.  The standard for diagnosis is 2 abnormal levels.  I did have those, but one was only off by 2.  

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

If you had failed 1 of the 3 tests i'd say possibly wrong but with 2 i'd say no simply because a non diabetic should never really see an elevated BS level regardless what they eat, especially if you failed your fasting level then i'd say its probably right :( since fasting is more about your liver sugars then anything which you cant really control with diet unfortunately!

-Mommy-2-Three-
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Actually at my hospital (Luther Mayo Clinic) if you fail ANY of the levels in the 3 hr you are dxed with GD :( You said you failed 2 of the 3 so I was just saying IF 1 was fasting etc etc!

Also, why would a non diabetic being checking BS levels to know theirs are sometimes elevated? When I had GD with my 3rd sometimes for fun I would check DH because he has a BIG sweet tooth & his sugars were NEVER above 160 (the limit a non diabetic should rarely if ever surpass) so thats why I said that. 

If your fasting BS are good then thats great, means your body is handling the sugars your liver pumps out at night well which is really good because fasting sugars are the hardest to control without insulin since you cant control them with diet! 

Plus, a DX of GD shouldn't matter as long as your BS are correct honestly IMO so just keep doing what you are doing & if things stay normal then awesome :) I was DXed with GD 2 of my 3 pregnancies but was able to completely diet control because I rarely had elevated numbers so having GD really didn't bother me, I got lucky, its different for everyone, looks like you are a lucky one too :) 

Quoting anxiousschk:

I actually do think it's quite possible for a non diabetic to see fluctuations in blood sugar.  I know many non diabetics who see rises and drops depending on the food that is eaten.  

You won't fail one of the 3 hour marks and get a diagnosis unless your numbers are really high.  The standard for diagnosis is 2 abnormal levels.  I did have those, but one was only off by 2.  

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

queenXofXmean
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:55 PM
With GD did you still eat whatever you wanted..but in small amounts?

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

Actually at my hospital (Luther Mayo Clinic) if you fail ANY of the levels in the 3 hr you are dxed with GD :( You said you failed 2 of the 3 so I was just saying IF 1 was fasting etc etc!

Also, why would a non diabetic being checking BS levels to know theirs are sometimes elevated? When I had GD with my 3rd sometimes for fun I would check DH because he has a BIG sweet tooth & his sugars were NEVER above 160 (the limit a non diabetic should rarely if ever surpass) so thats why I said that. 

If your fasting BS are good then thats great, means your body is handling the sugars your liver pumps out at night well which is really good because fasting sugars are the hardest to control without insulin since you cant control them with diet! 

Plus, a DX of GD shouldn't matter as long as your BS are correct honestly IMO so just keep doing what you are doing & if things stay normal then awesome :) I was DXed with GD 2 of my 3 pregnancies but was able to completely diet control because I rarely had elevated numbers so having GD really didn't bother me, I got lucky, its different for everyone, looks like you are a lucky one too :) 

Quoting anxiousschk:

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

-Mommy-2-Three-
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Yep, I've never had much of a sweet tooth so no need to cut down on sweets & as far as carbs I pretty much ate just like before except i'd eat like 4 smaller meals per day instead of 3 bigger meals & I also ate protien snacks 2x a day (after breakfast & before bed) to keep my full longer & I had no trouble with it..........by the time I was dxed with GD for the 2nd time (baby 3) it wasn't really an inconvience at all for me, was just normal! 

Quoting queenXofXmean:

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

Quoting anxiousschk:

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

queenXofXmean
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Thats me i eat 3 times a day breakfast lunch and supper...it helped me when i started getting up at 9am eat breakfast and just space out when i eat my meals..but i check my b.s. 4xs a day

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

Yep, I've never had much of a sweet tooth so no need to cut down on sweets & as far as carbs I pretty much ate just like before except i'd eat like 4 smaller meals per day instead of 3 bigger meals & I also ate protien snacks 2x a day (after breakfast & before bed) to keep my full longer & I had no trouble with it..........by the time I was dxed with GD for the 2nd time (baby 3) it wasn't really an inconvience at all for me, was just normal! 

Quoting queenXofXmean:

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

Quoting anxiousschk:

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured