Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Waterbirths

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM
  • 5 Replies

So lately I've been unhappy with my OB. I feel like they are very impersonal and just want to get me in and out. Also, some pet peeve of mine, is he won't call my baby a 'she'. Always refers to her as it. I would've thought that would change when we found out gender.

Anyways...a friend of mine told me about a clinic she goes to and loves so I'm giving them a try. Plus, their attitude is a lot better and more like how I feel labor should be. They also are the only waterbirth clinic around. I had no idea my insurance covered it but they do. So...I'm curious...what are your experiences with waterbirths? I've been extremely interested in them for a long time and now that it's reachable, I'm looking into it. Touring next week.

I was epidural free. So if you've had a waterbirth versus a vaginal birth, was it easier to deal with pain through waterbirth? Any bad experiences? Thanks in advance.

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
doulala
by Emerald Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I have only had water/vaginal births with my kids, wonderful experiences!!
:-)
What would you like to know about them?

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

xredstarsx
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM
I haven't had one yet but looking forward to my water vbac next month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ImNotKarl
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I had my son at a birthing center that offered water labor and water birth as an option. I loved it. I labored in the water right up until I was fully dialated and effaced, and then they helped move me to a bed because I was getting SUPER hot in the water. When I got in the water it helped me relax and the pain was a million times more manageable. It was easier to focus on the experience instead of the pain. 

If I could recommend anthing, I would say to take popsicles with you if you can, to help keep you cool, and to stay hydrated, because when the contractions come close together the heat can get overwhelming without some relief. I know at my birthing center they let me bring in water AND Gatoraide in my bag-o-snacks, and they had a fridge/freezer for popsicles and snacks. The hospital we toured said only clear liquid and things on their approved menu could be eaten by the laboring mother, which is weird to me, since we're the one's going through the whole thing.

I went through 3 OBs before giving my birthing center and midwives a try and it was so much more personal. I felt safer and more comfortable with them, and they honestly cared about my baby, never referring to him as it, and they remembered his name from the first visit. It didn't feel like the fast food experience at he DR's office.

orangeshirt
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:10 PM
I've labored in water and have had the opportunity to birth in the tub, but have always chosen to birth somewhere else in the room. I loved laboring in the tub, though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM
It's a long read, but it is my water birth story! : )

http://www.cafemom.com/group/117811/forums/read/17233714/My_second_sons_birth_caution_Very_rough_and_long?use_mobile=0
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)