Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Losing weight while pregnant..

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM
  • 30 Replies
I saw a new midwife yesterday. Im 16 weeks and havent gained 1 pound and she just fussed and fussed at me. She said I need to lose weight while preg! She said for my height I need to weigh 135. Im 5'7 and weigh 200. This is my 3rd baby and Im a big built girl. I wear a size 14/16. Im a big girl but not huge! I was just blown away. Anyone ever been told this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kimmie3577
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:35 PM

no but i was heavy with my first and i had lost weight during my pregnancy and i ask is that normal and the doctor said it was because i was heavy and sometimes he has seen that happen... im still heavy but not as heavy as i was with my first so im dying to see if i lose weight with this one... you will gain a lil and then you might lose alot. alot of doctors dont like heavy woman having babies...my doctor was really cool. he never made me feel bad for being over weight and being pregnant

Mzwest83
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Pregnancy is never a time for dieting and weight loss. With that said I have lost and gained weight with each of my pregnancy.Never on purpose. It just depends. 

summerbear
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Never been told that.

I am bigger tp begin with and pregnancy is the only time my metobalism acts right, so I actually lose weight while pregnant. My OB is never concerned. I would be upset and finding a new provider if I was told I should lose weight while pregnant. So sorry op.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmmaKatesMom902
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 6:55 AM
Thats what Im thinking. The only thing is I just switched to these people because I want a VBAC. Shes not my regular OB, I only saw her bc I couldnt see my midwife. Im going to talk to my midwife first and she what she says. If she says the same thing, Ill probably go back to my old OB.

Quoting summerbear:

Never been told that.

I am bigger tp begin with and pregnancy is the only time my metobalism acts right, so I actually lose weight while pregnant. My OB is never concerned. I would be upset and finding a new provider if I was told I should lose weight while pregnant. So sorry op.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:23 AM

I think that 135 is a low weight.  I was 131 and 5'6" and even my chauvenistic doctor (before I switched) said that any lower than 125 is unhealthy for me.  

I can see that you might need to lose a little, but nothing that drastic.  Perhaps her thought is that you need to be taking care of yourself?  Do you eat healthy foods? Exercise at all?  

It isn't a big deal to lose weight while pregnant, if you are overweight to begin with.  Often, when people clean up their diet for pregnancy, the weight comes off.  

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:25 AM

If by "dieting" you mean severely restricting calories, then you're right. 

If you mean eating healty foods and keeping your daily caloric intake under 2500 (and I'm pretty sure that's a high number) then there is nothing wrong with that during pregnancy.  We only need an additional 300-500 calories (depending on the woman) each day when pregnant.  That's essentially a snack.  (At least one of my snacks....)

Quoting Mzwest83:

Pregnancy is never a time for dieting and weight loss. With that said I have lost and gained weight with each of my pregnancy.Never on purpose. It just depends. 

Jacylove
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:32 AM
No, I'm 5'7 and is 39 weeks on Sunday I weight 220 now, & all they say to me is baby is getting bigger lol, even tho I think it's more me than baby getting bigger
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mzwest83
by Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Quoting anxiousschk:

If by "dieting" you mean severely restricting calories, then you're right. 

If you mean eating healty foods and keeping your daily caloric intake under 2500 (and I'm pretty sure that's a high number) then there is nothing wrong with that during pregnancy.  We only need an additional 300-500 calories (depending on the woman) each day when pregnant.  That's essentially a snack.  (At least one of my snacks....)

Quoting Mzwest83:

Your right dieting is different from eatting healthy. What I was trying to state is she should not attempt to keep her weight down or lose by starting a diet. The baby needs a balanced diet with iron rich foods to grow and keep mom healthy. 

mama2gg
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Hummm no change docs fast
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Emmau
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:26 AM
I'm 5'2 and weighed 185. With my first I lost 25 first trimester, gained back 20, and by my six week check was down to 155. Worked out well! LoL However after she weaned at 14 months I gained it all back within 3-4 months! : /

This time around I started at 185 again and lost 17. I'm 37 weeks 4 days and so far have only gained 14 back! So I'm glad it's going similarly. First time around I didn't realize how much nursing was keeping the weight off, so I'm going to try to eat super healthy so I don't gain it all back again!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured