Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

4d ultrasounds at 20 wks on plus sized?

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM
  • 13 Replies
If you are a plus sized mom have you had a 4d? Specifically at 20 weeks? Was it clear?

Also had anyone ever had 4d transvaginally at around 20 weeks?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RhondaVeggie
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM
I haven't had one because there was no medical reason for me to do so but I do know that several of the elective places around here have rules about plus size women. Basically if they can't get a good shot normally they will give you a do-over but if you have too much belly fat that could be preventing them from getting a good picture they won't redo you for free.
theosgirl45
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I am plus sized and had a 4d us at about 20 weeks.  We got to see a lot although our little guy didn't want to cooperate when the time came to get pics lol.  Here is one of the good ones we got.

He didn't want any pics straight on but we got a few profiles.

Alyssa1992
by Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I am plus sized and have had regular ultrasounds throughout my pregnancy (high risk.. just u/s at dr. office).. I dont think it matters that you are overweight.. it does matter how the baby is positioned though for u to get a good pic. At stork vision they try for 30 minutes and if they dont get a good pic u are SOL unless u wanna reschedule for 50 more bucks and try again. at least that's how it is here

Alyssa1992
by Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:59 PM

That's really mean of them! If you give a do-over for some they should give a do-over to all. I can't imagine someone telling me im too fat to have an ultrasound done! I would be so sad!!

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

I haven't had one because there was no medical reason for me to do so but I do know that several of the elective places around here have rules about plus size women. Basically if they can't get a good shot normally they will give you a do-over but if you have too much belly fat that could be preventing them from getting a good picture they won't redo you for free.

mommy2casidee
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM
I am a 3d ultrasound tech and honestly we prefer fuller figure moms to come in later in pregnancy. It's much easier to scan and get good pictures at 30+ weeks when your skin is starting To really stretch. Just being honest!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Mommy-2-Three-
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I am 'plus sized', my BMI is about 30..........I have had 5 3D scans, twice with Ds2 & three with Dd but then my BMI was more like 34-37 & it was clear as day except for placenta issues with Dd because it was anterior!

I only had transvaginal u/s til about 11 wks with them, then it was transabdominal only!

Ds2 at 24 wks

Ds2 at 32 wks (he was too low to see much)

Dd at 16 wks

Dd at 24 wks

Dd at 33 wks

Larsbug
by Laura on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I am plus size and did both sons 3D/4D at 24 weeks and it was fine... I will show you pics

DS1

DS2

XxPixiesworldxX
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM
You ladies are awesome! Thank you! I worry because my reg ultrasounds are always foggy.
doulala
by Emerald Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:46 AM

No, I have never had any ultrasounds in my pregnancies.
  Do you feel something is not well or do you have concerns?

XxPixiesworldxX
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Im high risk from a miscarriage and 22 wk still birth. The us tech couldnt get all her measurements and said I had placenta previa.but not to hold her to it because it wasn't clear. I had previa with my 22 wk loss. My dh is also going to hawaii to work for the winter. We want to know gender before he goes.

I understand some people don't get ultrasounds or feel their unsafe however I am not one of those people. I'm under the care of a midwife and will only have one to two us anyway.

Quoting doulala:

No, I have never had any ultrasounds in my pregnancies.
  Do you feel something is not well or do you have concerns?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)