Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bicornuate uterus

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:04 PM
  • 2 Replies
My friend just had her first appt and the dr said she has a bicornuate uterus. Anyone have this or know someone who has it. What are risks and should she be worried?
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:09 PM
My neighbors wife had this. She can't carry a baby to full term. Her son was born at 26 weeks weighing 1 pound and 9 inches long. He was in the hospital for months. He never developed his suck so he is tube fed still at 5 because of severe oral aversion. He also was on oxygen for years which damaged his eyes.

Unfortunately that's the only case I personally know of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahbell811
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:45 AM

I have a bicornuate uterus. I have 4 kids and have carried them all to term...my first 2 children were born at 38 weeks and my last 2 children were born at 39 weeks. Having a bicornuate uterus makes you at greater risk for preterm labor, having smaller babies(my babies were all in the 6.5-7.5 lb range, so not too bad), and it is more likely that your babies will be breech. There is less room for the baby to move around, since the uterus is divided into two "horns", the baby can only grow on one side. Therefore, if they don't get turned head down in time, they will get stuck in the breech position. 2 of my 4 babies were breech, so I've had 2 c-sections. I had a miscarriage at 14 weeks in between my 2nd and 3rd children, and although they can't be 100% sure, they think it was because the baby was on the right side of my uterus(the smaller side) and didn't have any more room to grow. My 2 pregnancies after that were on the left side of my uterus. The reason they can't be sure is because I didn't know about it until after I had to have a c-section with my 2nd child because she was breech. That's when they discovered it. So can't really be sure if my first 2 pregnancies were on the left side also, but it's a pretty good chance.

Hope this helps...really, it just depends on the severity of how the uterus is divided...mine is not too severe, as I have had succesful pregnanices and even a successful VBAC :) If you have any other questions or anything, feel free to PM me :)

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured