Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Induction due to GD?! What?!

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:29 AM
  • 31 Replies
I was just informed that I will be induced at 38 weeks due to gestational diabetes.
1. The standard marker for a 2-hour glucose test is no higher than 140. My doctor lowered it to 130, so I failed with a 133. I'm on a medication that controls my levels, and I missed it that day (go figure). Doc even said if I would've taken my meds I would've passed.
2. My GD is under control. I'm not overweight. I exercise and follow my diet. I'm 28 weeks and have gained 6 pounds. I check my blood sugar daily and my levels are always stellar.
3. This is my first baby and so far I've had no issues or complications.

Why do they insist on inducing?! I've read so much about this and it's just not necessary! Have any of you ever refused an induction? Please help!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ExquisiteMomof2
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:31 AM
No clue on the GD, I was induced to Clampsia that went toxemia.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2my2boys
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:48 AM
prob because you are still early in your pregnancy under 35 weeks and your blodd sugar will continue to rise the further along you get so he prob figures it will be too high then....i had gd with my second and it was controlled by diet alone my 3rd i had to test 4x and take insulin 4x i was induced with her due to low fluid i was about 37 weeks....with gd the further you get along and the higher ur blood sugar is it kills off the placenta another reason for the induction
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lulu_tattoos
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 2:12 AM
2 moms liked this
I would insist on monitoring my blood sugar at home to keep an eye on my levels and if they don't get dangerously high, I would refuse an induction.

Dr's are just plain induction-happy. But they can't force you into it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amc103
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this

This, exactly. Just tell them you want to monitor it. You're on meds for it and keeping your diet in check. there's not much else you can do BUT you dont have to agree to induction just because they say so. You're in charge. How big is baby measuring at this point and how far along are you?

Quoting lulu_tattoos:

I would insist on monitoring my blood sugar at home to keep an eye on my levels and if they don't get dangerously high, I would refuse an induction.

Dr's are just plain induction-happy. But they can't force you into it.

doulala
by Emerald Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 2:39 AM

As long as you & baby remain healthy & fine, intervening adds unnecessary risks.

It is safest to avoid unnecessary risks.

They might offer (suggest-encourage) induction but it's always an offer and the decision is yours.

If you would like some help with some questions to ask-interview to determine if induction may be a good idea I can share.

GL!

kaylynnedj9
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Yah I would definetly seek a second opinion. Not that just anyone goes around talking to ob's and stuff but that doesnt sound right it really does seem like the usually recent fad they've taken up of getting it done asap. I've gained 50 lbs and I'm not full term quite yet and I passed with flying colors everything glucose related. They could be inducing you because of baby's size too buti would def follow up before you let them just boss your body and baby around like that.

MommyO2-6631
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:24 AM
Any wayto you can switch doctors? Or even request another glucose test. He can't lower the standard just because he feels like it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:38 AM

My first OB (this pregnancy) said that if I were to test postive for GD I would be induced at 39 weeks.  No suggestions, no ways to avoid it....she simply stated it would happen.

My midwife (and the doctor that works with her) simply require monitoring.  There is none of this 39 weeks baby must get out! nonsense.  

You can decline the induction, but be prepared for your doc to make you feel like crap for doing so.  

I'd take doulala up on her offer to help you with the conversation you need to have. 

mama2gg
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:39 AM
38 weeks is full term its fine :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Not always.  It may be an official time for "full term" but I think it's best to keep baby in there as long as possible.  

Quoting mama2gg:

38 weeks is full term its fine :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)