Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Nanny Vs Child Care Centers

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:30 PM
  • 14 Replies
Do you have any experience with having a nanny or using a center? What were a few pro/cons? What helped you make that choice? Which was less expensive for you?
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by Emerald Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I have been a nanny & early ed teacher.
These are very different types of care and can offer different things.

If I were considering these options, it would have a lot to do with the style/philosophy of the program/nanny.        So my suggestion to you is create a list of questions and interview-tour with your options.      See what feels best for you/your family.     (don't have your kids there for that though)

Do you have ideas about what you would like already?

;-)

Larsbug
by Laura on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I have been a nanny and it's more one on one care with the nanny, more personalized attention. The nanny gets to know the cries of the child vs. daycare where (in my state) it's one daycare worker for every 5 children under the age of 1. When I was a nanny it was cheaper for them to pay me than do a daycare.

Stephanie88B
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:55 PM
I have already used child care and had part time teen babysitter. I'm just looking to read other views and opinions to see if they have ideas to offer that I didn't think of. I already know the process, I'm a pre k-6 licensure student, I graduate in May. So that's really not the issue for me it's just more so wanting to know others experience, ideas and what they found.
Stephanie88B
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:56 PM
If you don't mind me asking about how much is the average pay for a full time nanny. Both live in and live out.
mem82
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I always used a private sitter.

mem82
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:59 PM

My mom worked in daycares and I couldn't stand the thought of my baby crying to be held and not having someone with the ability to do it pronto. Also, I have seen too many women that shouldn't work with kids, working in daycares. 8(

Laulaulu321
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:03 PM
I have been both. I've never used one because I was a nanny and brought DS with me.. Now I'm a school bus driver and bring him with me. If you have a nanny she can do other jobs if you want her to and she agrees to it. In a daycare the con is that it might not always be the same person taking care of your child. Daycare is a little cheaper, though. If I were to choose a daycare I'd try one with video monitoring. He was in preschool in a daycare 1 day a week but it was a place I used to work for. He's in preschool somewhere else now but I don't worry as much because he's 4 and he can now tell me if anything weird is going on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kblpooh
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:05 PM
I have never had an in home nanny, my kids have been in different home daycares and one center daycare. I didn't like the center daycare because there was so many staff and no one ever seemed to know anything about how my child's day was. It was different people in the morning than when I picked up. The center I went to would close for snow days when the school was closed, so it was a problem for me since I didn't get a snow day and needed to find alternate care. I would have to pay double since the center still expected to get paid, then I had to pay the alternate person. I really like the home daycare because it's more personalized, I can give info to care provider and know that she understands my instructions and follows through with it. I can text her during the day to see how my kids are. She is more flexible than a center. I have had 5 providers over the years and liked each of them. I will never go back to a center.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:05 PM
I would prefer a center. There you have more than one set of eyes watching.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kblpooh
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Also the daycare center was way more money than home daycare.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)