Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

c section moms (question)

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:49 PM
  • 31 Replies
Can anyone tell me what the pain and recovery was like? Also did you get sick or throw up? I had a general anesthesia with my son and spinal with my daughter 12 and 10 years ago and only remember getting sick a lot after daughter. Was it the epidural? my doctor is letting me choose which I want to be awake or asleep. I need to decide by Thursday. I will be alone and have lots of anxiety so thought maybe getting put under would help..
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
puertoricangeek
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM

For me the pain was bad but I had to suck it up and not take meds or I wouldn't have been able to breast feed. Also had to get back to work within the week. I didn't get sick though. All I know I will be doing whatever I can to have a vbac this time.

thedathree
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Quoting puertoricangeek:

For me the pain was bad but I had to suck it up and not take meds or I wouldn't have been able to breast feed. Also had to get back to work within the week. I didn't get sick though. All I know I will be doing whatever I can to have a vbac this time.

... did you get put under for it or were you awake?
Randi02
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:07 PM
I was awake, had the spinal.

Pain wasn't bad. I was up showering two hours after each one, and only stayed for 24 hours in the hospital.

I did not want any pain medications after the spinal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rockyhugs35
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:11 PM
I was awake. And in pain for about a month. My doctors really messed me up. And my Incision got infected. But no pain during the actual c section, I also threw up after. But I Elieve that was from the morphine and not beig able to eat for 14 hours.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
puertoricangeek
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I was awake but had 2 epi's

Quoting thedathree:

Quoting puertoricangeek:

... did you get put under for it or were you awake?

thedathree
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Quoting Randi02:

I was awake, had the spinal.

Pain wasn't bad. I was up showering two hours after each one, and only stayed for 24 hours in the hospital.

I did not want any pain medications after the spinal.

my nurse practitioner says a spinal is more dense than general anesthesia. She says the pain will be worse the first 24 hours with general anesthesia. Do u have any idea if that's true? I really want to avoid a spinal..
Randi02
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:43 PM
Not sure.
I would never want to go under general anesthesia unless it was an absolute emergency.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Had 2 spinals, was awake. 

It hurt quite a bit.  I didn't get sick afterwards though. 

lovebuzz_mommy
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:47 PM
I have had 3 and about to have my 4th soon, I was awake for all 3 didn't get sick at all they gave me some yucky stuff to drink to help calm ur stomach and if u do start to get sick they can give u meds Thursday ur IV during the c section. The worse part for me is the spinal but I is still not as bad as I thought it would be. U do feel a lot of pressure when they pull the baby out but it doesn't hurt just feels a little weird and uncomfortable for a minute. Also afterwards my nose itches really bad I asked y they explained it was cuz of the morphine they gave, I fount that more aggravating than the actual c section itself lol.
shortyali
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:17 AM
2 moms liked this
I had general with my 1st and recovery was horrible. It took about 2-3 weeks for me to be almost back to normal as far as being able to walk upright. With my last 2 babies I have had a spinal and I was up and walking 16hrs later (my hospital won't let you out of bed for 16hrs after). I was walking normal within 2-3 days. Also you can take the pain meds if you plan to breastfeed. I have had ibuprofen and Percocet for all 3 sections and I have nursed after all 3 so if someone tries to tell you that you can't nurse on the pain meds tell them their full of horse manure.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN