Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How was your first one?

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM
  • 27 Replies

How was having your first kiddo? Any big surprises? Or did everything go as you expected? Any thing you learned and would pass on to a new mother to be? 

surprised

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NewMamaBoo
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:12 PM

BUMP!

NewMamaBoo
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:21 PM

giving heart

mama_pink_tink
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Ive only had the one delvery. The only thing that went as expected was vaginal birth...

my info to pass on; If you know you are going to want an epidural, make it known, not all anistesologets are always there. some are on call. even if you change your mind, or by the time you want it, its too late. At least the nursing staff knows. Be awear, the dr may not come in but a few times to makes sure things are going, and right about when the baby pops out, the nurses do everything else. Push like your taking taking a poop. It'll feel like the hardest poop youve ever had to take in your life, lol. If you are able to do things to help cope with the contractions like a bath or a shower, use an exsercise ball etc, USE THEM. Dont be afraid to ask questions about weather or not things are normal. 

NewMamaBoo
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Great thank you for your info!!

Quoting mama_pink_tink:

Ive only had the one delvery. The only thing that went as expected was vaginal birth...

my info to pass on; If you know you are going to want an epidural, make it known, not all anistesologets are always there. some are on call. even if you change your mind, or by the time you want it, its too late. At least the nursing staff knows. Be awear, the dr may not come in but a few times to makes sure things are going, and right about when the baby pops out, the nurses do everything else. Push like your taking taking a poop. It'll feel like the hardest poop youve ever had to take in your life, lol. If you are able to do things to help cope with the contractions like a bath or a shower, use an exsercise ball etc, USE THEM. Dont be afraid to ask questions about weather or not things are normal. 

AmandaN1
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Well with my first I was unusually calm about it all.  

I never knew about back labor and a child being face up before. I am sooo thankful for that epidural, even though at times it hurt me also.  It can cause a burning sensation in your legs.  My best piece of advice is that this is your and SO's baby. There will be TONS of advice flowing in from everywhere.  Do what is best for you and your family and let the rest pass.  You're never going to make everyone happy, just do what makes your own little family happy :)

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Be educated about everything, Know why they do things, what really is not necessary, know you rights, and just relax. Be prepared for anything. Nothing ever goes they way we want. But educations, finding what will work for you and know what you want. 

av0531
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:53 AM
With my first I ended up bing endured for medical reason... My labor went pretty fast 6 hrs and baby was born... I wouldn't have changed the way anything went.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Looked like I was in active labor at 36w so they started pitocin, did that for about 15 agonizing hours, then broke my water and dealt with that for another 4 hours with 3 failed epis, got to 9.5cm and they said I had a prolapsed cord and needed an emergency csection (which I have since learned if that were the case at 9.5cm I would have been rushed to the OR with a nurse on the bed with me holding baby in. They took their sweet time). Once in the OR they gave me a spinal and while doing that a nurse tripped over my IV. Routine csection but then they doped me up on TONS of pain meds and I had a nasty nurse telling me and my sister (12yrs older with no kids) how I was going to fail at nursing and parenting in general and kept trying to force a bottle.

I have since had 3 very successful VBACs, two being med free and my most recent one on November 17th.
desperatelyTTC
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:04 AM
My first experience wasn't a good one. I delivered at 32 weeks due to toxemia and nearly died while in labor :/
amc103
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I had a big surprise when I had DS. HIM! He was 11 lbs 6 oz and 22.5 inches long! They told me he was measuring around 9 lbs but we were super surprised when he was born. :-) No one ever told me that the first few months of my sons life were going to be so hard. I think its a taboo subject. You change so much and there is so much going on. I was lucky and had a great friend who was already a mom and helped me through the first few months, but at first, baby just needs all the time and doesnt give much love back and I didnt expect that. Maybe I was naieve. My son is my world now, but no one told me that I might not bond with him right off the bat. Some women do and some dont-dont feel badly if its not there at first and you feel like, "what the heck is my life now??"

Things get better and now I cant imagine my life without DS. He's my world. <3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)