Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Weird things you are not supposed to eat when pregnant (wives tales)

Posted by   + Show Post

My mom always tells me not to eat bananas because then the baby will be huge. She also tells me not to eat spicy food or the baby will have no hair.

What werid wives tales have you heard about what not to eat when pregnant?

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I heard this too!

I also heard that spicy food will make your baby dark ( a big no no for Asians). Spicy food gets a bad rap!

Quoting tiffs2009:

I heard the spicy one only it was it would make them blind.

circle_of_life
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Oh well, I have huge bald babies anyway lol! May as well eat all the bananas and spicy foods I want!

Quoting MommyIn2008:

Dang it Im going to have huge bald babies. i love bananas and spicy food. If it tasted good id eat both together.

mommyof2kids306
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:08 AM

ive never heard of that.  I will tell you the one about the spicy foods is wrong i ate spicy food with my first 2 and they have all kind of hair and arent blind either. 

JocelynsMama1
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:09 AM
2 moms liked this

those arent wives tales they are actually based on some logic/studies....however i hate lunch meat and hot dogs when i was pregnant 

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Lol, I have never heard those 2. That is funny. Only the stupid ones lately like no sushi, hot dogs, lunch meat, or eggnog.

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

bchic24
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM
Well I ate spicy food like it was going out of style! It gave me horrible heartburn but it is just too delicious! And my son came out with a full head of hair!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:12 AM
2 moms liked this
I was told not to eat cold lunch meat unlessni heat it up. Eww gross!! I eat it cold, heated up is nasty!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaScho88
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

My grandmother told me I shouldn't eat spicy food because the baby will come out with sores all over his/her skin! I crave spicy food and eat it all the time...I couldn't believe when she said that lol I ate spicy food in all my other pregnancies and there was never an issue...I told her that maybe I could get heartburn but the doctor would have told me not to eat spicy food if it would hurt the baby lol

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

But you don't heat sushi.  That's the entire premise of it, it's raw.  

So it's not really stupid.  

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

I know why, but it is really such a tiny possibility that you would get it. And if you just heat the meat, it will kill the bacteria. 

Quoting Tiffnkids:

Thats bc of listeriosis which causes miscarriages if its in the cold meats

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Lol, I have never heard those 2. That is funny. Only the stupid ones lately like no sushi, hot dogs, lunch meat, or eggnog.

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

You can let it cool.  You don't have to eat it hot.  

Microwave a bunch of meat until steaming and throw it back in the fridge.  It's the one act of heating that kills the potential for listeriosis, something I'm not wishing to tangle with.  

Quoting mama-smurf:

I was told not to eat cold lunch meat unlessni heat it up. Eww gross!! I eat it cold, heated up is nasty!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN