Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Weird things you are not supposed to eat when pregnant (wives tales)

Posted by   + Show Post

My mom always tells me not to eat bananas because then the baby will be huge. She also tells me not to eat spicy food or the baby will have no hair.

What werid wives tales have you heard about what not to eat when pregnant?

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Replies (121-130):
Cmesoon
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:26 AM

BUMP!

Queen_Sheila
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM
I've never heard any of these wacky things, but it's funny.
Newbi3742
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:23 AM
A co-worker was telling me his wife's family - Japanese - have the idea that even during the last month of pregnancy, if the mother eats lots of oysters, the baby will change and be born a boy. We giggled. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsErdos2011
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Those aren't wives tales those are medical fact. The bacteria contained in them can cause anything from vomitting to miscarriage.

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Lol, I have never heard those 2. That is funny. Only the stupid ones lately like no sushi, hot dogs, lunch meat, or eggnog.

I may not be a perfect wife or mother but I am perfect in the eyes of my son and my husband and that is all that matters.

piratepixie
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:07 AM
My mother has long believed that if a pregnant woman ate lamb meat that her baby would turn out retarded, I think she believes that because she had a cousin born with DS and that was what she was told the reason was. I think it's crazy
momtoalexis423
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Well if the spicy thing is true, then that explains a lot! Spicy was my biggest crave while pregnant with DD and I didn't think that kid would ever gett any hair!

AngelaDD
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:54 AM
My mom was told she wasn't allowed to swim or she would drown the baby.....seriously....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RoxeyMama
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:48 PM
This is funny:) I heard a wives tale after you have the baby that breastfeeding prevents another pregnancy lol. My friend at school believed it till they got prego again (oops)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommie2twogirls
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM

i hope not on the hot dogs i have been living on hot dogs lol

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Lol, I have never heard those 2. That is funny. Only the stupid ones lately like no sushi, hot dogs, lunch meat, or eggnog.

pregnant
mrs.miller89
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Quoting Rooobeee:

Quoting Laulaulu321:

No about food but I was told to get rid of my cats because they will claw his eyes out or smother my baby

There is an old wives tale about cats "stealing" a baby's breath. But there is proof that handling cat litter while pregnant is harmful to the unborn fetus.

I have heard the one about cats "stealing" a baby's breath. What happens is the baby has milk or formula still on their lips or in their mouth and the cat licks their mouth, causing them to suffocate. Don't know if it's happened or not but it's not totally unbelievable.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)