Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Weird things you are not supposed to eat when pregnant (wives tales)

Posted by   + Show Post

My mom always tells me not to eat bananas because then the baby will be huge. She also tells me not to eat spicy food or the baby will have no hair.

What werid wives tales have you heard about what not to eat when pregnant?

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Replies (21-30):
Laulaulu321
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM
No about food but I was told to get rid of my cats because they will claw his eyes out or smother my baby
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mewebb82
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I'm eating both together all the time.....there's this awesome south american restaurant down the road and one of the dishes (I can't remember what it's called) has bananas, eggplant, black beans, and this fried cornmeal stuff (kind of like polenta) with a spicy sauce. It's so good!

I'm sure my grandmother would go crazy if she heard I was eating that because she has told me so many times no bananas or spicy food, particularly in the 3rd trimester. She also says I need to eat lots of raw garlic since I'm pregnant with a boy.....apparantly it's supposed to make him well endowed. 

Quoting MommyIn2008:

Dang it Im going to have huge bald babies. i love bananas and spicy food. If it tasted good id eat both together.

MommyIn2008
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I was always told that so I got my cats declawed. I have 3 of them and never for the past 5 years have my cats bugged one of my kids or even came close to smothering one of them. My cats adore my kids.

Quoting Laulaulu321:

No about food but I was told to get rid of my cats because they will claw his eyes out or smother my baby
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyIn2008
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Yummy I wish I had a place like that where i live.

Quoting mewebb82:

I'm eating both together all the time.....there's this awesome south american restaurant down the road and one of the dishes (I can't remember what it's called) has bananas, eggplant, black beans, and this fried cornmeal stuff (kind of like polenta) with a spicy sauce. It's so good!

I'm sure my grandmother would go crazy if she heard I was eating that because she has told me so many times no bananas or spicy food, particularly in the 3rd trimester. She also says I need to eat lots of raw garlic since I'm pregnant with a boy.....apparantly it's supposed to make him well endowed. 

Quoting MommyIn2008:

Dang it Im going to have huge bald babies. i love bananas and spicy food. If it tasted good id eat both together.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Laulaulu321
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:50 PM
I know same here.. Actually I think it's the kid who torments the cats haha

Quoting MommyIn2008:

I was always told that so I got my cats declawed. I have 3 of them and never for the past 5 years have my cats bugged one of my kids or even came close to smothering one of them. My cats adore my kids.

Quoting Laulaulu321:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessymoka
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:52 PM
With my first pregnancy I was pregnant with a very superstitious woman at work. On an eclipse (can't remember lunar or solar, this was 15 years ago) you had to wear a safety pin somewhere on your clothes or something would happen to baby... I can't remember what though.
I thought she was cuckoo... She has other weird superstitions and I wish I could remember what the heck they were, besides weird.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
duchessofhearts
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:58 PM
3 moms liked this
My mil told me when she was pregnant with DH my fil freaked out cuz she was taking a bath and it was cuz he was told babies breathe from the moms belly button he thought DH was drowning
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:13 PM

LOL!

Quoting mewebb82:

sparklebug86
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I had a ton of heartburn with both (made me sick it was so bad) and both were born with lots of hair but I wonder if thats genetic

Quoting carinsmommy:

I was always told if you had a lot of heartburn your baby would have a full head of hair. LIARS!! My baby came out bald. Maybe it was singed off. LOL

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
bshoemaker
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:52 PM

My OB told me no hot dogs or lunch meat because of the sodium. I am having some blood pressure issues and they told me to avoid them at all costs. LOL. I think the others are just because your not supposed to eat raw food. They get way too picky!

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Lol, I have never heard those 2. That is funny. Only the stupid ones lately like no sushi, hot dogs, lunch meat, or eggnog.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN