Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Weird things you are not supposed to eat when pregnant (wives tales)

Posted by   + Show Post

My mom always tells me not to eat bananas because then the baby will be huge. She also tells me not to eat spicy food or the baby will have no hair.

What werid wives tales have you heard about what not to eat when pregnant?

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Replies (31-40):
babylove041810
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:55 PM
I can't get enough if them lol. They're one of my main cravings

Quoting meam4444:

Not here, but funny about the bananas!  :)  I ate them all my pregnancies like they were going out of style.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
babylove041810
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:58 PM
It's not the sodium for lunch meat it's the bacteria and hotdogs are loaded with nitrates. Sushi is safe depending on what kind it is.

Quoting bshoemaker:

My OB told me no hot dogs or lunch meat because of the sodium. I am having some blood pressure issues and they told me to avoid them at all costs. LOL. I think the others are just because your not supposed to eat raw food. They get way too picky!

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Lol, I have never heard those 2. That is funny. Only the stupid ones lately like no sushi, hot dogs, lunch meat, or eggnog.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Nov. 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM
2 moms liked this

Exactly! It's really a matter of common sense. Some people make it seem like a matter of life or death. But how many times do you eat lunch meat or sushi normally and not get sick? It's not like it's suddenly going to change because you are pregnant. Hot dogs and many lunch meats are really not very good for you though. So many foods have a ton of sodium in them. It must be hard!

Quoting bshoemaker:

My OB told me no hot dogs or lunch meat because of the sodium. I am having some blood pressure issues and they told me to avoid them at all costs. LOL. I think the others are just because your not supposed to eat raw food. They get way too picky!

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Lol, I have never heard those 2. That is funny. Only the stupid ones lately like no sushi, hot dogs, lunch meat, or eggnog.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Nov. 30, 2012 at 3:58 PM

It's all about common sense. It is very unlikely that sushi is suddenly going to make you sick if it prepared correctly and everything. Think about the amount of women in other countries that eat it and are just fine.

Quoting anxiousschk:

But you don't heat sushi.  That's the entire premise of it, it's raw.  

So it's not really stupid.  

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

I know why, but it is really such a tiny possibility that you would get it. And if you just heat the meat, it will kill the bacteria. 

Quoting Tiffnkids:

Thats bc of listeriosis which causes miscarriages if its in the cold meats

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Okcmom2013
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I got told to sleep with my toothbrush under my pillow to give her straight teeth lol
bshoemaker
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM

It sucks. I am on a low sodium diet until after this pregnancy (hoping my BP regulates after this) but it is soooo hard to find foods with little sodium. You would be amazed at how much there is in some things!!!

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Exactly! It's really a matter of common sense. Some people make it seem like a matter of life or death. But how many times do you eat lunch meat or sushi normally and not get sick? It's not like it's suddenly going to change because you are pregnant. Hot dogs and many lunch meats are really not very good for you though. So many foods have a ton of sodium in them. It must be hard!

Quoting bshoemaker:

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Nov. 30, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Oh I bet! Have you heard of the Brewer diet? If not, check it out. It may be helpful and something you could talk to your doctor about. 

Quoting bshoemaker:

It sucks. I am on a low sodium diet until after this pregnancy (hoping my BP regulates after this) but it is soooo hard to find foods with little sodium. You would be amazed at how much there is in some things!!!

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Quoting bshoemaker:

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

When you are pregnant, your immune system is lower AND you are growing a human who can be easily very damaged by any of those things.  

It's a risk that is easily avoidable, so I  see no harm in avoiding it.  

You have studies on the number of pregnant women in other countries who eat sushi and never, ever get sick?  I'd love to see them.  

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

It's all about common sense. It is very unlikely that sushi is suddenly going to make you sick if it prepared correctly and everything. Think about the amount of women in other countries that eat it and are just fine.

Quoting anxiousschk:

But you don't heat sushi.  That's the entire premise of it, it's raw.  

So it's not really stupid.  

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

I know why, but it is really such a tiny possibility that you would get it. And if you just heat the meat, it will kill the bacteria. 

Quoting Tiffnkids:

Thats bc of listeriosis which causes miscarriages if its in the cold meats

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

MamaScho88
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:46 PM

you can eat cooked sushi, like california rolls for example, raw suchi is a no no....heating meats like deli meats and hotdogs are not an old wives tale, those are to prevent listeriosis which is very dangerous to an unborn baby...I think it sounds icky to eat warm deli meat so i just make warm sandwiches, like paninis or grilled sandwiches if i want deli meat

Emilytrademark
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I had a banana and spicy noodle today :-/

BabyFruit Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)