Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Weird things you are not supposed to eat when pregnant (wives tales)

Posted by   + Show Post

My mom always tells me not to eat bananas because then the baby will be huge. She also tells me not to eat spicy food or the baby will have no hair.

What werid wives tales have you heard about what not to eat when pregnant?

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Replies (41-50):
Mama_Dolly
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:14 AM

not to eat pineapple, or payaya or rasberry leaf tea.

spicey food too...

Oceana09
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:17 AM

My ex best friend told me I could have no sea food and no shell fish of any kind. My OB looked at her at one of my appointments when I asked her about it and asked her if she was crazy. Her excuse "I'm in nursing school. I know what I'm talking about. She'll make the baby allergic to shellfish if she eats any while she's pregnant."

sucker4myloves
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I heard the spicy one would make a girl grow a penis LMAO

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

ripemango
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:29 AM

i ate jalapenos all the time while pregnant. DD has always had a beautiful head of hair.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

risaspieces
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:41 AM
I've been told by all my dh's older relatives to not eat oranges. That it'll cause the baby to have curly hair (like Afro curly).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ZsMommy
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Lunch meat,soft cheese and a list of other foods can harbor listeria...While an average person may not be affected...it can attack a fetus...even as late as 8 months into pregnancy and cause still births. That is why they recommend not eating these things. Sure-the risk is low-but would you really want to be that one person in however many that it affects.

Quoting bshoemaker:

My OB told me no hot dogs or lunch meat because of the sodium. I am having some blood pressure issues and they told me to avoid them at all costs. LOL. I think the others are just because your not supposed to eat raw food. They get way too picky!

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Lol, I have never heard those 2. That is funny. Only the stupid ones lately like no sushi, hot dogs, lunch meat, or eggnog.

Uhura
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Spicy food for red hair (actually it's in my genes so..) :P

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

KeiraRose
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Oh no honey you want to eat bananas especially when your legs start to cramp up in the middle of the night lol. I've had many people tell me to avoid sushi but my ob gave me the green light to eat it every now and then while pregnant.

ksprague
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 2:59 AM

haha, i ate hotsauce on everything, my entire pregnancy, and my baby has a head full of hair!!!

LittleBirdFly
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:15 AM

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Only the stupid ones lately like no sushi, hot dogs, lunch meat, or eggnog.

you should heat up any lunch meat before eating it while pregnant because it coul harm he baby. No eggnog because of the raw eggs which can cause e coli.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)