Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

laxatives to induce labor?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2007 at 12:20 AM
  • 6 Replies
Anyone know any laxatives other than castor oil that have been used to induce labor? I am curious what types are safe and what types are not. I have taken some chocolate squares that were laxatives before i was pregnant but are those safe when your pregnant?

Kendra Due Jan 8th 2008

by on Dec. 12, 2007 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
cali4niachef
by on Dec. 12, 2007 at 12:25 AM
inducing labor by form of a laxative has been shown that it can cause meconium. if a baby has meconium while in utero it can stress the baby and the baby can swallow it.

i would advise against it before 42wks.

how many wks are you?

~ Cindy
(mama to 26 month old nursling, childbirth junkie, coffee addict, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor and aspiring midwife)

"It is curious commentary on our society that we tolerate
 all degrees of explicitness in our literature and mass media as regards sex and violence, but the normal act of breast feeding is taboo" - American Academy of Pediatrics

"If you don't know your options, you don't have any."
- Diana Korte, A Good Birth, A Safe Birth

kellietinsley
by on Dec. 12, 2007 at 11:02 AM

Do not use laxatives while you're pregnant, it can seriously hurt your baby.  I had a friend who tried everything in the book to get her little one out because he was getting so big but nothing worked.  You just have to be patient.  How many weeks are you?

baby
3BabiesNaSailor
by on Dec. 12, 2007 at 11:04 AM
I dont believe so. That would be a stimulant laxative. You would need something that is all natural. Im sure there are other natural laxative's out there but I dont know if they would have the same effect!

(¯`·._.·[ ÂMãÑÐÄ ÀIIèñ ]·._.·´¯)

Group Administrator - SPD Mom's & their Sensational Kids

Scuba
by on Dec. 12, 2007 at 11:07 AM
It looks like you're due January 8th? It is way to soon ot be trying to induce labor. There's a good chance your baby's lungs aren't developed yet.

I don't believe that laxitives are safe to use when you're pregnant. You can call your doctor's office to be sure. The safest thing to do is to have labor start naturally, when your body and baby are ready. I know the waiting sucks, but it will be worth the wait, I promise.

- Scuba

"Without Courage, All Others Virtues Are Lost" - Winston Churchill

3BabiesNaSailor
by on Dec. 12, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Quoting cali4niachef:

inducing labor by form of a laxative has been shown that it can cause meconium. if a baby has meconium while in utero it can stress the baby and the baby can swallow it.

i would advise against it before 42wks.

how many wks are you?
That could happen to anyone. Laxative or no laxative. Its not a matter of the baby swallowing the meconium it is a matter of him breathing it into his lungs. However, like I said... that could happen with or without any laxative. No one really knows why the fetus passes a stool  in utero... but Im sure there are plenty of myths... that being one of them. Just like the old wives tale of putting your arms over your head will wrap the cord around the baby's neck. No one knows why that happens it just does... so to think one thing has absolutely anything to do with the other is preposterous!

3BabiesNaSailor
by on Dec. 12, 2007 at 11:11 AM

Quoting Scuba:

It looks like you're due January 8th? It is way to soon ot be trying to induce labor. There's a good chance your baby's lungs aren't developed yet.

I don't believe that laxitives are safe to use when you're pregnant. You can call your doctor's office to be sure. The safest thing to do is to have labor start naturally, when your body and baby are ready. I know the waiting sucks, but it will be worth the wait, I promise.

Your not due until Jan 8th!? Yes, I totally agree!!! It is too early to try to induce... even naturally!!! I would wait a few more weeks. You would feel awful if you induced and the baby came and there were complications with his/her breathing, ect.... try to wait it out! you've made it this far!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN