Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Things You wished you knew about C-sections

Posted by   + Show Post

I have been doing alot of reading lately with c-section posts and am seeing the words... i wish i had known... used alot. I am scheduled for a c-section Jan 7th and am getting quite nervous about it. I had a very hard delivery and many complications with my DS during my first pregnancy, and with the issues i am having this time arround again the dr, DH and i decided the c-section was the safest route to go but hasnt calmed any of my fears about being cut open and i have no clue what to expect after. I am hoping some of the mom's out there can help with this. Any information would be great, am especially intrested in what to expect during the c-section, afterwards in the recovery, if anyone had issues nursing after having a c-setion, what you wish you had known before hand, or found surprising in the documents you signed, how long it was before you could get up and move arround after the c-section, what are some tips for bf while healing that you found helpful......... well the list goes on LOL in other words any info you have to offer would be a delight and a great help.

D

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Replies (31-38):
Cheyennesmommy4
by Christina on Dec. 1, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I had a csection with my son Mason and SUCCESSFULLY Breastfed.

Quoting anxiousschk:

I've had friends who had successful C-sections, but I don't know anyone who has had one and sucessfully breast fed.  

I had a C-section and it wasn't a pleasant experience.  I also had extreme difficulty breastfeeding and gave it up after a few weeks. 

musicpisces
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I had no supply issues, but DS had a hard time latching for a good 6 weeks after a very complicated birth.  But we worked through it, and had a great breastfeeding relationship for almost 19 months.  No formula!

I wish I'd known my lower belly would be numb for years from the nerves being cut.  Never thought about that.

I wish I'd known how much of it I would feel as it was happening.  Of course, now having seen them performed, I can see why.  They really tug and pull on you (and the baby)!

Honestly, though, it wasn't as awful as I'd imagined it would be.  I'd had nightmares about it, and it was more smooth than I'd thought.  My recovery was great, even though everything had been crazy complicated, and I'd hemorrhaged.  I was walking for fitness about 2 weeks postpartum (no marathons or anything, but 3-4 miles or so).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

angela84
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Now, I'm a crunchy granola kind of gal, just to give you an idea of my viewpoint. If I was going to have a c-section, I would request for the baby to have IMMEDIATE skin to skin contact with your husband (or you, but you probably wont be feeling up to it). And if the hospital for some reason denies your wishes and whisks your baby away (sometimes for hours), I would tell them not to give my baby a bottle, or a pacifier. Also request for them NOT to bathe your baby. Like another mother said, the vernix is fine. You have the right to give your baby it's first bath. Make sure the doctors and nurses know that you want to breastfeed and need to see your baby as soon as possible if they take your baby away. I've heard of some moms that can't really use their arms a whole lot afterwards and have their husbands help to hold the baby to the breast so that you can breast feed sooner rather than later.

If you listen to only one piece of my advice: do the skin to skin. That's my parting message.

http://evidencebasedbirth.com/the-evidence-for-skin-to-skin-care-after-a-cesarean/

http://singlemomontherun.com/2012/05/05/skin-to-skin-contact-following-birth-fight-for-it/

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I had a c-section with my first and I will be having my second csection March 28th(or around there).  I went in sort of knowing I would end up having one.  My mom and her mom had 2 c-sections each and no natural births.  I had my c-section at 11pm on a friday night and I believe I was getting up to use the bathroom within 12 hours.  I breastfed all night with no issues other than my son having a lactose allergy(this eventually went away at 7 months, but with little help and support going dairy free I quit bfing at 2 months).  

I was in a lot of pain the first few days, but 2 weeks after I was going on 4 mile walks with DS.  

I have known I would have a c-section again since right after I had DS and now that I'm 6 months along I am becoming more nervous about it. It is a major sugery and it has risks because of that.  My first one was perfectly fine (I probably wouldn't have had one if I had waited to go to the hospital) and I recovered pretty quickly.  

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I forgot about the numbness!  That is kind of annoying and It's been 17 months since my c-section.  DF got to watch the whole c-section with DS.  He described it to me later and I was very glad I couldn't see what was happening.   I felt the table shaking violently quite a bit and a little bit a tugging.

Quoting musicpisces:

I had no supply issues, but DS had a hard time latching for a good 6 weeks after a very complicated birth.  But we worked through it, and had a great breastfeeding relationship for almost 19 months.  No formula!

I wish I'd known my lower belly would be numb for years from the nerves being cut.  Never thought about that.

I wish I'd known how much of it I would feel as it was happening.  Of course, now having seen them performed, I can see why.  They really tug and pull on you (and the baby)!

Honestly, though, it wasn't as awful as I'd imagined it would be.  I'd had nightmares about it, and it was more smooth than I'd thought.  My recovery was great, even though everything had been crazy complicated, and I'd hemorrhaged.  I was walking for fitness about 2 weeks postpartum (no marathons or anything, but 3-4 miles or so).

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

*sigh*   I really think this is the third time I've responded to this statement (said by various people.) 

Did I say *you* didn't?  No.  I said that I did not know anyone  (and no, I don't know you) that has had a C-section and breasfted.   Your reply doesn't change that. 

I'd also love for you to quote where I said it wasn't possible to have a C-section and breastfeed.  

A C-section brings a whole host of possible complications that a vaginal birth doesn't.  These complications quite often make it far more difficult and challenging to nurse. 

Quoting Cheyennesmommy4:

I had a csection with my son Mason and SUCCESSFULLY Breastfed.

Quoting anxiousschk:

I've had friends who had successful C-sections, but I don't know anyone who has had one and sucessfully breast fed.  

I had a C-section and it wasn't a pleasant experience.  I also had extreme difficulty breastfeeding and gave it up after a few weeks. 

ginna_bailey
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:42 PM
I just had my third c-sec six weeks ago. I have never had a problem breast feeding. In fact my milk came in before I was released from the hospital ( on the third day). I did get engorged from it because my son was in the NICU. I was up and walking around the same day, about 12 hours post op. The only problem I had was the gas that gets backed up in you, that can cause some really bad pain ( my pain was on my shoulder ), walking helps with that some. My best advice post-op is listen to what your body says. As far as baby goes with the first two they were never out of my sight. When I went to the recovery room they were there right beside me. With my third he went to the NICU from the operating room and I went to the recovery room, as soon as I was able to move my legs and some of the numbness went away they took me to see him before taking me to my room. I didn't get to nurse him for 5 days because of the machines, but we haven't had any problems since he was finally able to nurse. Sorry so long, but feel free to ask me anything about my experiences.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ohmandy
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:48 PM

i had an emergancy csection.  recovery sucked, but i had no problem with nursing.  remember, it is major abdominal surgery.  im hoping for a vbac this time around.  i feel i missed something and i dont want to go through the recovery again... but if i have to i wont fight it.

they wouldnt feed me solids till lunch the next day and only after i got out of bed.  (ds was born at 454, last time i ate a real meal was the day before at lunch... dr advised it cause i know a csection was possible).  so i went something like 2 whole days without solid foods.  sucked.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)