Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

refusing the glucose test...why????

Posted by   + Show Post
Why would you want to refuse that test?

What if you in fact had gest diabetes?

You wouldnt know because you refused that test and you may be putting your baby in danger...dont say "well I can just test my sugars at home"..whats the point in doing that if your refusing to do it the doc way or think "well I dont have gest diabetes I didnt with my others"..things change..every pregnancy is different.... I believe in doing the test my doc provide so I know my baby is healthy and Im doing everything I can to keep her that way and myself....

Im not bashing anyone but I just wanna know why you would want refuse any testing for you or your baby....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:19 PM
Replies (31-40):
mama2gg
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't est sugar in general not processed and not refined .. so pumping me full of sugar will not only make me sick ill fail it because my body isn't use to processing crap and sugar

I know when I don't feel right because of sugar if I felt even the smallest chance I'd buy a personal monitor for 70 bucks and watch it myself
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Emerald Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 11:05 AM

So even though you didn't fail they suggest the next test?    It's optional and you can decline it of course.       Would it make her (and you) feel better if you self-monitored instead?
Do you
feel like you are healthy and eat nutritious foods?

Quoting Plus-size-mommy:

So, I took my one hour the other day, my level was 135 which is their cutoff so now they want me to do the 2 hr fasting test. I, technically, did not fail. I'd love your opinion on this. I asked if I could decline and she went to scare tactics and said the baby's lungs may not develop, lungs may be too large, or baby could even pass away from Gd.

Quoting doulala:

nicki.hemingway
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM

It's nice to know that I know how to read medical journals.  As a pp noted there are no, and by no I mean no, side effects to this condition than a large baby.  Needing insulin during pregnancy is caused by the pancreas not producing enough insulin.  This is not GD.  The pp needs to learn to read instead of taking what a OB who gets paid to order tests for granted.  Many many pieces of bad OB advice has been passed around here because people take what their dr says as law. 

Quoting Rayawni:

Where in the world did you get this info?

Posting one study does not make absolute truth. There are many studies and many things that conflict.

Some women are on insulin during their pregnancy for gestational diabetes. After pregnancy there glucose goes down and they don't need insulin at all.

Op- my advice: don't ask people in this forum any questions about docs and tests because you will get bashed. This is a very doctor/ nurse/ medical intervention hating group. I've given up for the most part even replying unless it has something to do with inductions etc. and processes if you come to the hospital that i can give info on since I work L and D.

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

You clearly are very ignorant about the horrible glucose drink that they make you take to take the test.  It is pure refined sugar.  No one consumes that much pure sugar without health consquences.  A child could take this drink and they will test out of normal glucose ranges.  GD is by and large a made up condition.  It is a dx to explain a large baby.  Yes true diabeties is a very serious condition, GD has no side effects other than a large baby.  GD is not and never will be diabeties.  Now can a woman develop true diabeties (I or II) yes, but the GTT will not diagnose it, you need a A1C or Insulin levels to diagnose diabeties.  I have been diabetic for 13 years, and my Endo has stated thatthe GTT is inaccurate and does not show diabeties. So I am caliing this, TROLL POST!!!!

Quoting x_Starr_x:

did I say anything about the test NO I DIDNT. clearly stating a fact.

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Still does not mean that taking that horrible innaccurate test is good for you.  My midwife pulls my A1C twice with other routine bloodwork and Insulin levels after 28 weeks. These are much more accurate diabeties tests and not the horrible drink that can cause even non-pregnant women to fail. 

Quoting x_Starr_x:just because you don't eat crap DOES NOT MEAN you won't get it GD is WAY different that type 1 or 2.

Quoting Heather2001:

Because I never put that amount of processed, high-sugar crap in my body at any one time ever in my pregnancy, why would I for a test?  It makes me feel horrible afterwards.  I allowed my doc to do a couple random blood sugar finger pricks at my appointments and that was enough to know that I didn't have GD.

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
sj3starz
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM
I take it because diabetes runs in my family and while gd usually goes away there are instances where it sticks around after pregnancy. Also, it does affect the mother because the swings in sugar levels like that can be extreme to the point of confusion, passing out, coma and even death. For the baby, when the mother goes untreated (diet or meds), they can suffer from higher weight at birth (not so big of a deal) higher chance of obesity, and higher chance of diabetes.

It's a personal choice whether you want to test or not. Like I said, my family has diabetes like crazy (type 1 and 2) and I don't want to chance going undiagnosed.

Good luck on making your decision.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MissRN
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:07 PM

This. Except I did pass out after miraculously making it to my car after the test. I couldn't see as I was walking out and knew it was coming. (I was just sitting in my car, not driving and it wasn't on) I had to call DH to pick my up even though we lived close enough to the diagnostics center that I could have walked home. I do not eat junk and that drink was all that was offered for me, no alternatives. It was more than me feeling 'sick' for an hour.. I dont induce labor or do the other things the judgy people call selfish.. I am no longer with that practice but I will never drink a glucola ever again. It cannot be good for my growing child to have me passed out and sugar levels surging. A friend who was pregnant with me did have GD and my diet was much healthier and smaller portions in that pregnancy and this one then hers was ON the GD diet. She paid attention to what she ate and with baby number #2 passed the test. Each person has their right to refuse, if my new practice doesn't offer alternatives I will not be taking the test this time. 

Quoting Devious103102:

I've refused it with my last pregnancy because when I did it with my youngest (and with the pregnancy before that) it made me so sick that I literally passed out in the office.  I wasn't going to put my body through that again, esp when my chances of getting GD are slim to none (NEVER had it nor has anyone in my family (or DH's, if it even matters) ever had it.

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Wanna know the sad thing?  After going through that twice I found out that there is a simple blood test they can do when they do the rest of your blood work that will check those same levels for you. I can't remember what it's called but I found out when I was preg with Jr (had to do the test early because of my BMI and being over weight as with Livi and the pregnancy before her), since I refused to do it, and the nurse explained there is an alternative test and if I'd be ok with doing that and she explained it to me, so I just went ahead and did that, no issues, no having to drink that drink, no passing out in the waiting room... isn't it convenient how it was never mentioned to me till I refused to drink the drink?

Quoting MissRN:

This. Except I did pass out after miraculously making it to my car after the test. I couldn't see as I was walking out and knew it was coming. (I was just sitting in my car, not driving and it wasn't on) I had to call DH to pick my up even though we lived close enough to the diagnostics center that I could have walked home. I do not eat junk and that drink was all that was offered for me, no alternatives. It was more than me feeling 'sick' for an hour.. I dont induce labor or do the other things the judgy people call selfish.. I am no longer with that practice but I will never drink a glucola ever again. It cannot be good for my growing child to have me passed out and sugar levels surging. A friend who was pregnant with me did have GD and my diet was much healthier and smaller portions in that pregnancy and this one then hers was ON the GD diet. She paid attention to what she ate and with baby number #2 passed the test. Each person has their right to refuse, if my new practice doesn't offer alternatives I will not be taking the test this time. 

Quoting Devious103102:

I've refused it with my last pregnancy because when I did it with my youngest (and with the pregnancy before that) it made me so sick that I literally passed out in the office.  I wasn't going to put my body through that again, esp when my chances of getting GD are slim to none (NEVER had it nor has anyone in my family (or DH's, if it even matters) ever had it.

MissRN
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM

It all comes down to covienience, at my old practice all they did was hand you the drink and await the results... They made you go to a different diagnostics center for the blood draw so they are literally hands off. My results were like 102 or something and so they tried to make me take a second test even though I had passed and then got super mad when I said no way! I don't mind a blood draw and the 'pain' that comes with it, they aren't actually harming me and the baby like the drink did. I will have to ask my dr about it when I go in for my next appointment. Thanks for the heads up! 

Quoting Devious103102:

Wanna know the sad thing?  After going through that twice I found out that there is a simple blood test they can do when they do the rest of your blood work that will check those same levels for you. I can't remember what it's called but I found out when I was preg with Jr (had to do the test early because of my BMI and being over weight as with Livi and the pregnancy before her), since I refused to do it, and the nurse explained there is an alternative test and if I'd be ok with doing that and she explained it to me, so I just went ahead and did that, no issues, no having to drink that drink, no passing out in the waiting room... isn't it convenient how it was never mentioned to me till I refused to drink the drink?

Quoting MissRN:

Quoting Devious103102:

trilliandent42
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I also refused the traditional glucose testing, and asked for the two-hour postprandial test they give bariatric patients, since they cannot take those awful tests...  It works just fine... 

Larsbug
by Laura on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never refused it, I am a bigger girl so I always want to make sure

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

It really does! And she wasn't even going to tell me about it till I asked if there was another way. I told her I get that I'm over weight (by nearly 20lbs at the time) but I had NEVER had GD or in my family, etc she said I should really do it and I told her NO and went into a bit more detail about what happened the last time (I was on the chair getting my blood work done and almost passed out with the needle in my arm, they had to sit me in the chair for an hour before I was able to get up and go home!), so she told me about the blood work and said it's an option I could try and I went for it, came out great and the midwife was fine with me going that route instead of the drink. 

Quoting MissRN:

It all comes down to covienience, at my old practice all they did was hand you the drink and await the results... They made you go to a different diagnostics center for the blood draw so they are literally hands off. My results were like 102 or something and so they tried to make me take a second test even though I had passed and then got super mad when I said no way! I don't mind a blood draw and the 'pain' that comes with it, they aren't actually harming me and the baby like the drink did. I will have to ask my dr about it when I go in for my next appointment. Thanks for the heads up! 

Quoting Devious103102:

Quoting MissRN:

Quoting Devious103102:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)