Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Crock Pot Freezer Meals for after baby is born?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:52 AM
  • 11 Replies

Saw this idea on Pintrest and thought it would be a good idea to have some pre-assemble meal plans for when the baby come becasue I am sure I am not going to want to make dinner the first week or so. It sounded like a good idea because you have one mess, one clean up and its ready to go. I told DH about it and he had a fit saying it was gross and bad idea. That the food would go to waste because it would get freezer burn before we ate it. We have eaten frozen meals from the store but he thinks that's different becasue of the way they seal it.  I am not a cook by any means. I only know how to make simple meals or what recipes I find on-line. What do you think of this idea, good or bad?

melissafallistestkitchen.blogspot.com/2011/09/freezer-cooking-slow-cooker-meals.html

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
austinsmama1106
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:13 AM
I thought about doing it but we don't have extra money to do it. I have a pretty well stocked freezer and "pantry" so things can be thrown together pretty quick. I also would probably still freezer wrap my meat and double bag everything else.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
butterflycircle
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I am making several things and freezing them for my family after my baby comes. I have a husband, 7yr old daughter and a 2yr old son and I cook all of the meals (some are sandwiches lol but i still do the making). I have had mostly good experiences with freezing. I recomend chilling things before freezing them (let them cool in te fridge first). As long as you make sure you buy freezer bags I wouldn't worry about it. I have actually been trying to talk my hubby into getting an extra freezer b/c I already freeze like pancakes and mini muffins regularly.

I have already made a "idea" meal plan for a week. I am going to turn it into a month's worth of meal plan. I am making for the freezer..... pancakes, waffles, breakfast burritos (eggs to have a slightly different texture after frozen though and so do potatoes), southwestern rolls ups (like a chicken salsa cheese and bean burrito), soup, mini muffins. 

I am also going to make some crock pot bags too. One of our FAV! pulled chicken. you just put a few boneless skinless chicken breasts in the slowcooker with BBQ sauce and let it cook on high for like 5-6 hours. It iwll be falling apart when ready. I pull it apart with a fork and done. You could do this by just putting the BBQ sauce and raw chicken in a bag to freeze (it will take 2-3 hours longer to cook if frozen) or you cna cook this for a meal before baby is born and freeze the leftovers in a freezer bag : ). You can also make cookie dough and freeze it too and when you want to make cookies you just pull it out and spoon some on the pan and bake (not thawing involved : )   ). 

One of my Fav. websites is Moneysavingmom.com she has a great blog and in her "from my kitchen" section she has tons of recipes and a section just for freezer cooking. She also does weekly freezer cooking and weekly menu plans. In her recipes that are freezer friendly she tells you how to and when to freeze them too also with directions on cooking them after they have been frozen  : )

lillucky8
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:31 AM
I stocked my freezer before each of my kiddos were born
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe Jenn
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:06 AM

We just had the Healthy BBQ chicken from that site last night. It was delish. 

melroseb1230
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I have put about a dozen different meals in my freezer for after the baby comes, as well as bagged individual servings for smoothies and a bunch of muffins and breakfast things for everyone. I have been doing this for a while now and as long as you seal your food properly you shouldn't have any problem. Most of the crockpot ones you don't even cook ahead of time just throw raw meat and veggies and such in a bag to dump in the crock pot later. I have made things for the oven as well that just will need heated, like lasagna and chicken and dumplings etc.

conweis
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:33 PM
4 moms liked this

Tell him if he don't like the idea he can cook dinner.

angevil53
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:54 PM
You know i did it one week and we ended up eating out twice bc the food was horrible. The flavor was disgusting with what they tell you to put together. I have better recipes than they did.
januarybabies
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 2:36 PM
My hubby works with a lady who offered to do some meals for us, I thought it was a great idea! I'd say go for it if your hubby doesn't like it he can either do the cooking or go with out!! :)
Larsbug
by Laura on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I didn' do it because I had my mom to cook for me and DH and DS1, but I do it for my friends...when they are pregnant and want some done, I get the ingredients (they pay for them) and I cook them for them and get them freezer ready. It's a great idea.

Sweet_Carol_126
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Check out Crock Pot Moms on here.  You don't need to prepare them ahead of time, just have the materials in the freezer straight from store or in the refrigerator or pantry.  You put in meat, onions at times and some kind of meat.  You could sit at the table and load up the crock pot and then put it on slow all night or prepare it after breakfast and it will be ready for dinner.  Our women's group at church usually takes in a few meals over a week's time (no more than one a day) if woman is in hospital or home with a new baby.  Asks for volunteers. Would be nice if maybe your family did that for you for a day or maybe two. 

Maybe you need a Food Saver so it will seal and vacuum pack your foods and then store in freezer.  If you have space in freezer, you could do that by fixing a meal for you both another day and put it in a container and vacuum it down.  There are some food trays that are like tv dinners and can separate food and put a lid on it.  However, would be better to vacuum pack it without the lid and then seal and put in freezer.    Do have to watch the salt level for most crock pot meals.  Check over on the Groups on Cafe Moms and  yu will find the crock pot meals and there are probably 2 years worth on there and you can pick out easy ones for a week.  Just have to wash out the crock pot to start another one.    Overnight put on low but after breakfast might need to put on high and then turn down to low once it gets cooked or put on simmer.  Good luck to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN