Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Milk Supply Question

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hi ladies,

I'm 23 weeks, 3 days and I was just wondering when the colostrum will start coming in? I know the actual milk doesn't come in until AFTER the baby is born, but I was just curious. Recently my breasts/nipples have gotten a lot more tender and I'm not sure if it means anything? Thanks in advance! (I'm a first time mom by the way).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Tenderness doesn't mean anything. Some women will get colostrum early in their second trimester and others may not get it until the final week or two before birth. Every woman is different!

Ciaodarlings
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM
Got it. Will I KNOW when I get the colostrum or...? Not sure how all that works.

Quoting Pandapanda:

Tenderness doesn't mean anything. Some women will get colostrum early in their second trimester and others may not get it until the final week or two before birth. Every woman is different!

purvislets
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Sometimes it doesn't come in until right before delivery.  That's how it was with my first.  With my second, I started leaking a day or two before I got my bfp and with this pregnancy it actually has been around since before I ever got pregnant.  

purvislets
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM

You may not unless it leaks out on it's own.  Mine never leaks, but if I try to get some out it's there while i know other people who have to wear nursing pads or they'll leak through their shirts.

Quoting Ciaodarlings:

Got it. Will I KNOW when I get the colostrum or...? Not sure how all that works.

Quoting Pandapanda:

Ciaodarlings
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Okay, that makes sense. Thank you! :-)

Quoting purvislets:

You may not unless it leaks out on it's own.  Mine never leaks, but if I try to get some out it's there while i know other people who have to wear nursing pads or they'll leak through their shirts.

Quoting Ciaodarlings:

Quoting Pandapanda:

jessymoka
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM
If the tips of your nipples are a little crusty (I know that sounds so gross) then you probably have a little colostrum starting to leak. Not everyone leaks (lucky dogs!) a lot are not as lucky... You might notice a little hard spot in your bra, which would be where some leaked and dried in your bra.
I know with my first three pregnancies I started leaking somewhere in the 20 week area, but like others said, everyone is different.
Ciaodarlings
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I'll keep a look out for that, thank you!

Quoting jessymoka:

If the tips of your nipples are a little crusty (I know that sounds so gross) then you probably have a little colostrum starting to leak. Not everyone leaks (lucky dogs!) a lot are not as lucky... You might notice a little hard spot in your bra, which would be where some leaked and dried in your bra.
I know with my first three pregnancies I started leaking somewhere in the 20 week area, but like others said, everyone is different.

RhondaVeggie
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM
Mine started about maybe 34 weeks with my first. The neighbors baby cried while I was sitting on the bed naked after a bath and they just squirted a little. So weird. This time around I haven't really leaked but if I squeezed my nipples I'd squirt a little starting about 20 weeks.
munkiebaby
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:19 AM

DD#2 &DD#3 my colostrum came in at 32 and 35 weeks. And milk in at 4 days PP with DD#2. Waiting on DD#3 to come shes due next week.

whitneymf
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:25 AM
I was 25 weeks and you will know especially if you are wearing a black bra because when it dries it shows up better. It usually leaks clear with a little yellow sometimes for me. I get sharp pains in my boobs and then they feel full and a little leaks out and they feel better, its weird.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured