Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Breastfeeding Worries!!

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:17 PM
  • 8 Replies

My husband and I are due on June 5th with our first baby and we're worried about breastfeeding. I plan on going back to work after the initial 6-8 weeks at home after birth and don't want our baby to end up with nipple confusion! I would like to breastfeed, as I know it's the healthiest way, but I'm concerned that even while pumping that the baby will become confused when switching to a nipple. Does switching to a nipple take away my ability to breast feed at night when I'm home? Has anyone else struggled with this issue? If so, what did you decide to do? I would love to have that bonding ime while feeding with my baby but I'm afraid of losing it once I go back to work. Any advice and suggestions are welcome! Thank you in advance!

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Tiffersmu
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM

One of my doctor's said she doesn't believe in nipple confusion, and I forget all of her reasoning but alot of it had to do with the Hispanic culture (I believe that's what she said) does not breastfeed until all of the milk comes in (if I'm wrong, someone correct me). Also, I have lots of friends who pump/breastfeed and mix it in and are fine.  I've never done it though so I'm not totally sure.  I am goign to pump/breastfeed because I am going back to work after 6 weeks as well.

Tiffnkids
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM
I have breastfed 4 babies.. none of them had nipple confusion.... but..lets say yours did... for the 1st 6 weeks lets say you exclusively bf... you are doing the best thing... if you can pump after and the babywould only take abottle its still healthier..... if you have supply issues you can take fenugreek and the hands down best pump..ive used them all is avents hand pump..it gets the most milk out.. stimulated more milk production and feels most like baby.....
happymommy2b90
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM
I'm hispanic I've never heard of that lol... Anyways to the op my son is 10 weeks old I'm Also a FTM in the beginning I was not making enough milk or so I thought I was giving him two bottles of formula a day. I was having a hard time with him latching correctly and my nipple was sore and cracked I almost gave up breastfeeding. I decided that I was goingto try to exclusively breastfeed since then breastfeeding is going great and my son latches on great. I also pump just incase I have to leave him with my mom for any reason which is rare. So in my opinion I think nipple confusion is possible.

Quoting Tiffersmu:

One of my doctor's said she doesn't believe in nipple confusion, and I forget all of her reasoning but alot of it had to do with the Hispanic culture (I believe that's what she said) does not breastfeed until all of the milk comes in (if I'm wrong, someone correct me). Also, I have lots of friends who pump/breastfeed and mix it in and are fine.  I've never done it though so I'm not totally sure.  I am goign to pump/breastfeed because I am going back to work after 6 weeks as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterflycircle
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Try not to worry. Women do it all of the time. I Exclusively Breadtfed my son. I didn't have to go back to work b/c I am a sahm. It was easier for me to just breastfeed and not pump. That was just b/c I was over thinking my supply. 

I would just start breastfeeding after baby is born. Maybe pump a couple times a day if you want to (right when ym milk came in I pumped a few times a day b/c I was to engorged for my baby to latch on, this only lasted a few days). This was very helpful for the nights when I was sooooo tired and soooooo emotionally drained and the baby was soooo fussy and I just couldn't get him to latch on so hubby fed him a bottle. 

I would talk to people that you know that have gone back to work while breast feeding or talk to a lactation cunsultant. I had to call the ones at the hospital a few times and they were VERY helpful.

rachelrothchild
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:04 PM

It really depends on the baby.

mem82
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I would also post this in the Breastfeeding Moms group. 8)

Lots of women pump and work, and then come home and BF, so there has to be a good way to do it. LOL

peanutbee
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I definitely will post this in that group as well! Thank you!

Quoting mem82:

I would also post this in the Breastfeeding Moms group. 8)

Lots of women pump and work, and then come home and BF, so there has to be a good way to do it. LOL

CafeMom Tickers
peanutbee
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Thank you to all the moms that replied to my post. The advice was very helpful. I'm feeling better about it day by day. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN