Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

vaginosis and Metronidazol

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:41 PM
  • 14 Replies

What I thought was simply spotting I was going to have to get used to turns out to be an infection.  I'm currently 13 weeks along and started spotting off and on since Thanksgiving weekend.  My latest sonogram showed that my placenta is partially sitting on my cervix, and the midwife thought that perhaps this was causing the spotting.  But she ran some tests anyway.

My OB called to tell me the latest test results are in today and I am suffering from bacterial vaginosis! This is what has been causing the spotting which as been scaring the life out of me. I picked up a prescription at lunch today for Metronidazol - it is a 7 day scrip and my husband wonders if it is safe for pregnant women. He was under the impression that pregnant women weren't to take any medication whatsoever. I tried to assure him that if the OB themselves did medical tests and prescribed this, they obviously know I'm pregnant and so it must be safe.

Do any of you know of this drug?  Have you been prescribed to take it in a similar way?  I wonder if anyone else has taken it because I'd like to show my husband their success to calm his fears about all of this.  I go back for an appointment Friday morning and hope to be feeling a lot better by then!

Thanks for any input on this.

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nirvana78028
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this
It is safe to take. As you said df's know the risks w meds and won't prescribe them if not safe or prescribe for an extended period of time. But yes it's safe
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TIffanyB84
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Do not drink dairy on it!!! I had it my last pregnancy and drank creamer in my coffee it was no good at all...me and toilet became bff
soaringflutes
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I don't know anything about your new medicine, but I do know that it is sometimes necessary to take medications while pregnant.  If you can't convince your husband that it's okay, have him talk to your doctor at your next appointment. 

Aully1
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:49 AM

No, my husband is satisfied that it's a class B and has been certified safe to take while pregnant!  I am already feeling better after two doses, although I will keep in mind the dairy, Tiffany, thank you!

What I have to ask now is that from reading in my "What to Expect When" book is that the section on BV says my amniotic fluid can get infected and I'll have an underweight preemie.  YIKES!  The section on yeast infections sounded harmless, but they made this sound like it was a horrible thing to get!  Should I just not read up on ANYTHING that's happening to me anymore??  sigh...

Radellia
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:56 AM
I'm in school to be a pharmacy tech... We were actually just going over infections and this specific med this week... I'll look back in my notes and find out specifically what it says about it...
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I had bv when pregnant as well.  I took the same thing, it was fine.  Watch for a possible yeast infection to follow (or maybe I was on something different...??) 

pacificamom
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

no clue--but hope you feel better!

Radellia
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:52 AM
That med is Pregnancy Risk Category B, meaning there is no risk in humans and safe to take while pregnant
KCartair
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:02 AM
I have that & am currently taking that medicine. The hospital prescribed it to me.
bethany0199
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM

im going with safe to take ----ask the pharmacist to be sure..but BV can lead to PID which is painful and im sure not good for pregnancy---

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN