Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Thanks to pinkiebabii, I found this information about formula feeding out! SCARY! PIOG

Harmful to Baby:

1 Increased risk of asthma

2 Increased risk of allergy

3 Reduced cognitive development

4 Increased risk of acute

respiratory disease

5 Increased dental malformation

6 Increased risk for infection from

contaminated formula

7 Increased risk of nutrient

deficiencies

8 Increased risk of childhood

cancers

9 Increased risk of chronic diseases

10 Increased risk of diabetes

11 Increased risk of cardiovascular

disease

12 Increased risk of obesity

13 Increased risk of gastrointestinal

infections

14 Increased risk of mortality

15 Increased risk of otitismedia and

ear infections

16 Increased risk of side effects of

environmental contaminants

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Replies (31-40):
TripletTwin_Mom
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM
In a venue where the premiss is to educate and provide knowledge opinion isn't needed...especially if the opinion is negative and judges others because they have a difference of opinion...correct me if I'm wrong but the OP was designed to provide info regarding formula and its risks...at what point did it turn into a bashing session for women who FF...

Quoting Randi02:

Facts and opinions are two different things. The difference may be that her opinion is backed up by facts.

Choosing formula over breast milk is not the best choice. It is intended to be a last resort, and there are risks associated with that synthetic food.

Quoting TripletTwin_Mom:

Your opinion is just that...YOUR opinion...presenting information and facts to educate is one thing...there is NOTHING anyone on ANY forum can say to justify bashing someone because their personal choice conflicts with your personal opinion...I appreciate facts and education all day, what I don't appreciate is the validity of those facts being jaded by a personal and perceptually biased opinion!!!

Quoting trilliandent42:

BFing wasn't a "decision" for me, it just is...  That being said, I am sharing this information.  I did not know that formula carried so many risks.  I was shocked.  I think that those that get so worked up get frightened when they find out they put or are putting their children in jeopardy, lashing out at those they feel are judging them.  

But, if you ask my opinion, I do not think that women who CAN BF should FF.  Formula should be limited to those women that CANNOT BF.  FFing because you don't want your boobs to sag is not an appropriate reason...  Get a boob job afterwards, don't put your baby in unnecessary danger...  Personally, I do find it selfish to not BF if you are capable.

Quoting TripletTwin_Mom:

Who are you to say what choice is best??? Do you know the individual or their situation or the reasons WHY they made that decision??? Probably not...

Quoting Randi02:

You're not giving them the best start. You're feeding them something with known health risks.

It doesn't mean you're a bad parent, but if you're choosing formula- you're not making the healthiest choice for your children.

Quoting Larsbug:

so because I formula feed I don't take good enough care of them?

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

I'm glad we have it for the very rare cases where a woman can't feed her baby or she dies before a child is old enough to wean but I don't know why anyone would choose to use it. I was formula fed because my mother thought breast feeding was gross and I had several of the issues on that list. Why bother having kids if you're not willing to take the best care of them you can?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

crossing the street has increased risk of being hit by a car, lol.  All 4 of my children are formula fed babies (from day 1) and have never had any of the above issues (over weight, under weight, allergies, asthma, diseases, deficiencies, infections etc)thanks though ;) 

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Thanks for the laugh =0) All 4 of my girls (12, 10, 7 and 8 months on Sunday) are perfectly healthy and have always been given the best care I've been able to. My CHOICE not to BF (yes, choice) has not had any effect on them.  My SIL's oldest child, however, who was BF from birth to nearly a year old is over weight, does have some issues (constant migraines, allergies and illnesses) none of which-other than being lactosintolerant-are anything that either of her parents or anyone else in the family-that we know of-suffer from.  A parents form of feeding her child should be NO ONES concern as long as they're not shoving drumsticks and beer down the kids throat at 3 days old =0)

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

I'm glad we have it for the very rare cases where a woman can't feed her baby or she dies before a child is old enough to wean but I don't know why anyone would choose to use it. I was formula fed because my mother thought breast feeding was gross and I had several of the issues on that list. Why bother having kids if you're not willing to take the best care of them you can?

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:51 PM

My son has severe food allergies from the use of formula. It should never be a first choice for any mother IMO (it wasn't my first choice, but I just wasn't in a right state of mind) unless they simply cannot breastfeed due to a legitimate physical problem (such as breast surgeries, cancer, etc).

Legumes (especially peanuts), eggs, wheat, soy, oats, milk, sunflower, olives, grapefruit, barley, and the list just grows and grows..

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM
2 moms liked this

1-I don't last out but I do reply. I don't reply out of "fear" because I "found out I put my children in jeopardy" because if that was the case I'd have my children in plastic .bubbles and they'd never leave home, I reply because the stuck up snobby mothers who think it should be "their way or the highway" are, I'm sorry to say, dumb. 

2-I FF all my girls, my boobs still sag, LOL! I'm ok with that.

3-there's nothing "selfish" about it. There's about 1000 reasons a woman could/may have NO to BF, NONE of it is any of yours, or anyone's business, plain and simple, even if the reason is as simple as "I just don't want to" (as mine is/was) not your business cause they're not your children.

What people need to understand is all these posts bashing FFers doesn't make us wanna say "OMG let's whip out a boob and feed our kids the "natural way", no, it makes us laugh at you BFing natzi's who want to call us selfish, irresponsible and bad mothers =0)

Quoting trilliandent42:

BFing wasn't a "decision" for me, it just is...  That being said, I am sharing this information.  I did not know that formula carried so many risks.  I was shocked.  I think that those that get so worked up get frightened when they find out they put or are putting their children in jeopardy, lashing out at those they feel are judging them.  

But, if you ask my opinion, I do not think that women who CAN BF should FF.  Formula should be limited to those women that CANNOT BF.  FFing because you don't want your boobs to sag is not an appropriate reason...  Get a boob job afterwards, don't put your baby in unnecessary danger...  Personally, I do find it selfish to not BF if you are capable.

Quoting TripletTwin_Mom:

Who are you to say what choice is best??? Do you know the individual or their situation or the reasons WHY they made that decision??? Probably not...

Quoting Randi02:

You're not giving them the best start. You're feeding them something with known health risks.

It doesn't mean you're a bad parent, but if you're choosing formula- you're not making the healthiest choice for your children.

Quoting Larsbug:

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

mem82
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM
3 moms liked this

I just hope that using the information the WHO passes out, completely vaccinates on the WHO schedule. If they are the end all and be all of what is best for our babies. Just sayin'

Also, I have EBF all of my babies to some degree and have used formula at some point to supplement so it's not that I have issues with BFing. I just know that there are shades of gray unlike BFing Nazis.

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

How can you be so sure, though, that it has to do with him being FF and not something he was genetically pre-dispositioned to? Like my niece who is allergic to a helluva lot of things and she was BF till almost a year, yet my children are all healthy, not allergic to anything (while I'm mildly allergic to pineapples and tomatoes) and they were all FF?  It's not another persons right to tell a woman how to feed her child, regardless of the reasons behind WHY.

Quoting Pandapanda:

My son has severe food allergies from the use of formula. It should never be a first choice for any mother IMO (it wasn't my first choice, but I just wasn't in a right state of mind) unless they simply cannot breastfeed due to a legitimate physical problem (such as breast surgeries, cancer, etc).

Legumes (especially peanuts), eggs, wheat, soy, oats, milk, sunflower, olives, grapefruit, barley, and the list just grows and grows..

TTC2Long
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM
This post contains both the op's opinion AND fact. The FACTS are listed in the op, her OPINIONS, which she is entitled to have and express, are shared later, but they don't change the FACTS.

Quoting TripletTwin_Mom:

Your opinion is just that...YOUR opinion...presenting information and facts to educate is one thing...there is NOTHING anyone on ANY forum can say to justify bashing someone because their personal choice conflicts with your personal opinion...I appreciate facts and education all day, what I don't appreciate is the validity of those facts being jaded by a personal and perceptually biased opinion!!!

Quoting trilliandent42:

Quoting TripletTwin_Mom:

Quoting Randi02:

Quoting Larsbug:

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

doulala
by Emerald Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Wow.
  If there are "risks with everything" then to be fair we should include those so people can judge for themselves.    lol

Since the risks with FF are more dangerous and the list is longer, it makes sense to share here.
  Especially since a lot of folks are unaware of them (thinking they are nearly equal).    

If formula is a choice then imagine how much healthier & safer babies and mothers can be to choose what is safest & healthiest!
:-)

"When
we trust the makers of baby formula more than we do our own ability to
nourish our babies, we lose a chance to claim an aspect of our power as
women. Thinking that baby formula is as good as breast milk is believing
that thirty years of technology is superior to three million years of
nature's evolution. Countless women have regained trust in their bodies
through nursing their children, even if they weren't sure at first that
they could do it. It is an act of female power, and I think of it as
feminism in its purest form."

~Christine Northrup M.D.

TripletTwin_Mom
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM
My son has all those allergies and plus some...he is 12 now and each year he is tested we find new allergies...in fact the foods he is allowed to eat he is still technically allergic to, they produce the most minimal reaction, he is anaphylactic to all of his food allergies IN ADDITION TO environmental allergies...he was breastfed...

Quoting Pandapanda:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)