Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New job and Pregnant

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM
  • 17 Replies

Hello.

I just am needing some advice...

I got a new job about a month ago as a server in a brand new restaurant that just opened up. I was 12 weeks pregnant with our second child when I got the job and I am now 17 weeks pregnant. No one knows that I am pregnant yet. I am having anxiety about telling them that I am pregnant. Should I be worried? I was planning on just waiting until I got big to announce it or wait till someone asks me if I am pregnant, but today I received an email saying that we have a beverage training coming up this Saturday. I am obviously unable to drink, but still am attending to learn about the beers and wines we have on our menu. I am guessing we will have to taste them.

I guess what I am asking is should I be worried they will be upset? Should I worry about anything? Has anyone ever had this experience? We are very excited about our new little one and I need this job so i need all the advice I can get.

Thanks!

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

You need to let them know. Wine wouldn't be a big deal really, but mixed drinks, beer, and hard liquor are no good.

sunshineab2485
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Do you think they will find a reason to fire me over this? I know they can't fire me because I am pregnant, but I am just having this bad feeling(probably just worried bc I am pregnant and emotional). I was pregnant when hired and they didnt know. Should I move my due date? Be honest?

LucyHarper
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Some people just don't drink, and they can't force them, but you should really just tell them. If you hold off too long, it might seem to them like you are hiding things. I'm a waitress in a dinner and I told my employer as soon as I found out for sure that I was pregnant. They legally can't fire you just for being pregnant and theres really nothing to worry about, the sooner you tell them the better so you have plenty of time to work out a plan for during your maternity leave, so they can find an alternate server during that time, and so they have some heads up in case you have complications and need to stop working sooner rather than later, etc. For example, I was able to work right up until I gave birth, but because of health complications there were some things I wasn't allowed to do by my doctor, like lift very heavy trays, so my boss and I worked out a plan to make sure I was still doing enough work to earn my pay, but wasn't doing jobs that would put my health and my babies health in jeopardy, so we arranged it that others would take on some of my jobs, and in return I would take on some of theres, but they need heads up for that.

sunshineab2485
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Ok thank you!

I bartended with my first pregnancy and it was fine. I had been working there for awhile so it wasn't a big deal. But for some reason I just feel like since I was already pregnant and got the job and have only been there a month and haven't said anything yet, I feel dishonest already. I feel like they will be mad at me. I am already trying to earn my way up from being new and at the bottom of the totum poll...

mem82
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think you would have to taste them, at all. It might be a good way to casually bring up that you are expecting, though. It would be more natural than just making a grand announcement.

sunshineab2485
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM

So you don't think me being pregnant when I got the job will be an issue?

mwangi1989
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Am currently almost 10 weeks pregnant and just started a new job this week but I let them know from the beginning that am pregnant coz I did not want it to be an issue when they found out. I also told them hoping they can understand when I fail to do some tasks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sunshineab2485
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM
So you got the job? Everything was okay with them?
austinsmama1106
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I would just come out and tell them. You can always tell them you just found out but are further than you thought. As long as you are able to do your job, I don't see it being a problem. The longer you wait the worse the outcome.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Laulaulu321
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I worked in a restaurant when I was pregnant with my son and one day a coworker saw my belly and was like " what's going on there" then I had to tell the boss that night since people were noticing. I was only 14 weeks at that point.

My point is they may have noticed by now. But yeah you should tell them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured