Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Hello.

I just am needing some advice...

I got a new job about a month ago as a server in a brand new restaurant that just opened up. I was 12 weeks pregnant with our second child when I got the job and I am now 17 weeks pregnant. No one knows that I am pregnant yet. I am having anxiety about telling them that I am pregnant. Should I be worried? I was planning on just waiting until I got big to announce it or wait till someone asks me if I am pregnant, but today I received an email saying that we have a beverage training coming up this Saturday. I am obviously unable to drink, but still am attending to learn about the beers and wines we have on our menu. I am guessing we will have to taste them.

I guess what I am asking is should I be worried they will be upset? Should I worry about anything? Has anyone ever had this experience? We are very excited about our new little one and I need this job so i need all the advice I can get.

Thanks!

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM
Replies (11-17):
sunshineab2485
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Thank you ladies!

mwangi1989
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Ya coz they said if they let me go just because iv told them that am pregnant that will be discrimination so far everything has been ok.

Quoting sunshineab2485:

So you got the job? Everything was okay with them?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
trilliandent42
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Yeah, really, it is a job, not your family, so no big announcement is needed.  If they ask you if you would like a drink, you could say, "No thanks, I am expecting."  That way you could let them know graciously, and it really does not seem deceptive.  However, you are being deceptive, and you feel deceptive, so...  But, I did not even tell my family I was preggers until I was 16 weeks, why would I tell my job? :-}

Quoting mem82:

I don't think you would have to taste them, at all. It might be a good way to casually bring up that you are expecting, though. It would be more natural than just making a grand announcement.

veganistic
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:49 AM
This exactly!

Also, pregnant people need jobs too... they know that... don't sweat it. You made it through the tough first trimester without it being an issue... congrats!

Quoting mem82:

I don't think you would have to taste them, at all. It might be a good way to casually bring up that you are expecting, though. It would be more natural than just making a grand announcement.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
veganistic
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:49 AM
This exactly!

Also, pregnant people need jobs too... they know that... don't sweat it. You made it through the tough first trimester without it being an issue... congrats!

Quoting mem82:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshineab2485
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Thank you everyone!

I worked last night and during check out I told one of my supervisors/managers and she was really excited for us! So I guess there was no need for me to worry! Thank you all for the advice! It is greatly appreciated! :-)

victoriahearts
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I know your worried but it's best to just tell them as soon as possible, he can get upset but legally there isn't much they can do to fire you. Trust me no one boss can have a worse reaction then mine, he was upset and worked up when I told him I was pregnant, I honestly though he would have a heart attack but you know what there was much he could do. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)