Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question!

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM
  • 42 Replies
I posted this in my due date group but wanted to post it here to!
I know that when pregnant women go into labor and go to the hospital the first thing they do is put your IV in. I completely get why they would want to put one in because if there was an emergency they don't want to have to take the time looking for a vein but my question is, why do they administer fluids through the IV and can you decline them? I didn't swell @ all with my dd until after I gave birth and my whole face & arms & legs were swollen! I know it was not from pushing cause I only pushed twice lol, and I was reading online that the fluids can make you swell. So my question is can I refuse the fluids & still have the IV in my arm just not hooked up?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama-smurf
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Not sure but i think they do it to keel you hydrate also. Im no help. Sorry
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:52 PM
Oh well that would make sense haha

Quoting mama-smurf:

Not sure but i think they do it to keel you hydrate also. Im no help. Sorry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM

You will need to find out your hospitals policy's on this. I only had my second at a hospital. I did not have to have an IV if I did not want it. 

Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:56 PM
they told me i had to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM
You can ask for a hep lock :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rockabillybetty
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM
I never asked but oh man i was all bruised up after my daughter was born for weeks because they couldn't find a vein and the heffer was a first timer i guess but i looked like i shot up heroine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs.hill25
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

you ask for then to start a line and not hook to anything (fluids), but they will want to at least start one in case you get dehydrated or need a section. you will need to drink water and gaterade to keep from getting dehydrated.

Astrachanca
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:47 AM
I spoke to my doctor about this and he said he was perfectly fine with me drinking clear liquids and even eating small easy to digest meals. He said that I could delay fluids until I absolutely needed them (ie epidural/csection scenario). I'd speak to your doctor and hospital to find out their policy! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilostmy_keys
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM
I am so looking forward to not having an IV this time (homebirth) - I blew up like a balloon after my hospital births. You can request a heploc (just the needle inserted) and most hospitals will accept that as a compromise. You can decline anything - it is your birth - but be sure you are educated on each procedure and it's risks, and be ready to fight them if they try to intimidate you. You don't HAVE to do anything and it if you are low to no risk, stay home and labor as long as humanly possible!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlissBagshaw
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM

You need to stay hydrated.  You lose a lot fluid sweating and in childbirth.  The last thing you want is a migraine and to be weak from dehydration after having your baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured