Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy
I posted this in my due date group but wanted to post it here to!
I know that when pregnant women go into labor and go to the hospital the first thing they do is put your IV in. I completely get why they would want to put one in because if there was an emergency they don't want to have to take the time looking for a vein but my question is, why do they administer fluids through the IV and can you decline them? I didn't swell @ all with my dd until after I gave birth and my whole face & arms & legs were swollen! I know it was not from pushing cause I only pushed twice lol, and I was reading online that the fluids can make you swell. So my question is can I refuse the fluids & still have the IV in my arm just not hooked up?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM
Replies (21-30):
butterflycircle
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

When I had my last baby they put the IV in but I didn't have fluids until they did the epidural and pit and stuff. 

BlissBagshaw
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

The hospital at which I had my son didn't allow actual fluids.  They hooked me up to an IV and only let me munch on a few ice chips.  I hear there are places that don't do that, though....  What I would have given for a cup of juice! lol  I hate ice chips.

Quoting orangeshirt:

There's this freely flowing thing called water that laboring women can drink to stay hydrated. Or OJ, Gatorade...whatever mom wants to drink, she can.

Quoting BlissBagshaw:

You need to stay hydrated.  You lose a lot fluid sweating and in childbirth.  The last thing you want is a migraine and to be weak from dehydration after having your baby.

orangeshirt
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM
2 moms liked this
They might have a policy, but that certainly doesn't override your human right to food/natural hydration. Believe me, you CAN eat. They can't and won't deny you care just because you're thirsty and want to actually drink as opposed to take fluids in your vein.

Quoting BlissBagshaw:

The hospital at which I had my son didn't allow actual fluids.  They hooked me up to an IV and only let me munch on a few ice chips.  I hear there are places that don't do that, though....  What I would have given for a cup of juice! lol  I hate ice chips.

Quoting orangeshirt:

There's this freely flowing thing called water that laboring women can drink to stay hydrated. Or OJ, Gatorade...whatever mom wants to drink, she can.

Quoting BlissBagshaw:

You need to stay hydrated.  You lose a lot fluid sweating and in childbirth.  The last thing you want is a migraine and to be weak from dehydration after having your baby.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not sure. I eat protein but probably not enough like I should. I didn't know that affected it. I'm going to increase it & see if that helps! Thank you for the tip :)

Quoting ilostmy_keys:

What does your protein intake look like? You should be getting roughly 80g/day. My bp spiked in week 37 but I dramatically changed my diet and it's back down to my baselin 100/60ish.

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

Yeah I told DH I wanted to labor until I absolutely had to be carried to the car so that they can't try and make me do things like I want. Unfortunately my BLood pressure has been real high & I'm only 24 weeks :( I'm hoping it goes down because I don't want this to interfear with my natural plan. I was induced with my dd (for High blood pressure) & even though it was a short 4 hr labor I still wanted to actually feel labor for myself

Quoting ilostmy_keys:

I am so looking forward to not having an IV this time (homebirth) - I blew up like a balloon after my hospital births. You can request a heploc (just the needle inserted) and most hospitals will accept that as a compromise. You can decline anything - it is your birth - but be sure you are educated on each procedure and it's risks, and be ready to fight them if they try to intimidate you. You don't HAVE to do anything and it if you are low to no risk, stay home and labor as long as humanly possible!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this
See they told me I wasn't allowed any clear liquids or food! I wish I had of known this! All they let me have was ice chips. And even though it was only like 4 hours I would have felt better if I had of eaten! They told me not to eat before I came to the hospital also but I ate some yogurt which did NOT help lol. I will def be sure to eat this time b4 I go and I will look into those little things. Thank you :)

Quoting TTC2Long:

You CAN eat, if you want. What are thry going to do, kick you out? I got Gu packets - it's rapidly bioavailable carbs for marathon runners and comes in small, Idk, 2oz packets you tear open and squeeze into your mouth. Quick n easy energy for your muscles. Sporting goods and outdoors places should have it. Just make sure you don't get ones with caffeine or other stimulants. I also packed nuts, but was too deep in labor at the hospital to eat them. At home I had a pb&h sandwich on whole grain bread at the start of labor.

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

Ok great thank you :)! I will bring it up Monday & tell him that's what I want. I was always wanting to drink something with dd anyways cause I was so hungry haha!

Quoting TTC2Long:

You can for sure decline the iv fluids. I got the heplock because starting a line in my tiny, prone-to-collapse veins is hard and would waste a lot of time in an emergency. But it wasn't connected to anything. Having it connected to the bag will limit your movements and cause swelling in both you AND baby. No need to make baby bigger! Also, it falsely inflates the birth weight so baby loses more in the first days as your milk comes in, potentially raising false red flags that you have a supply problem. You can just assign someone, dh, mom, doula, whoever, to water duty and make sure they know to offer water to sip between contractions. Billions of women birthed safely before ivs were invented and did just fine. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:42 AM
2 moms liked this
What are they going to do if you eat or sip water? Kick you out? Call the cops? "Policy" doesn't make it law. Your body needs energy! Eat! Drink! :)

Quoting BlissBagshaw:

Quoting orangeshirt:

Quoting BlissBagshaw:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RhondaVeggie
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I refused an IV with my first and I intend to refuse it again. If I had tricky veins I'd take a heploc but my veins are easy so an IV wouldn't waste time in the incredibly rare event of a true emergency. It's easy to get them in but my body really hates them. When I had a D&C last year I had my IV in the back of my hand and I was fully recovered from the surgery long before I recovered from the IV. It was over a month before I could put that hand in my jeans pocket and three months later it still felt bruised if someone touched the back of my hand.

As for eating and drinking, I fully intend to do that. With my son I had a horrible nurse who same on duty about 18 hours in, one of those that just wants to kick back and do her nails while a nice quiet drugged up patient dozes in bed. When my husband gave me a sip of water (literally a sip, I was queasy but my mouth was dry) she barked at me and told me I could only have ice chips. I glared at her and said "You do realize ice is just frozen water, right?" Somehow I resisted adding "you ignorant little twat" to the end of my question but I was thinking it.
RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:10 PM
That's how I was also! My hand was so sore. And they had it in my right hand and all I wanted to do was grab onto the bed rail when I had a contraction but it hurt to bad to grab onto anything because of it I hated it. And I had to pee often and they had to roll the stupid little cart with the fluids to the bathroom then I had to fight a cord while trying to pee. It wasn't fun!
And as for that nurse I would probably have yelled @ someone lol. Especially if I'm in pain or nauseous.

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

I refused an IV with my first and I intend to refuse it again. If I had tricky veins I'd take a heploc but my veins are easy so an IV wouldn't waste time in the incredibly rare event of a true emergency. It's easy to get them in but my body really hates them. When I had a D&C last year I had my IV in the back of my hand and I was fully recovered from the surgery long before I recovered from the IV. It was over a month before I could put that hand in my jeans pocket and three months later it still felt bruised if someone touched the back of my hand.

As for eating and drinking, I fully intend to do that. With my son I had a horrible nurse who same on duty about 18 hours in, one of those that just wants to kick back and do her nails while a nice quiet drugged up patient dozes in bed. When my husband gave me a sip of water (literally a sip, I was queasy but my mouth was dry) she barked at me and told me I could only have ice chips. I glared at her and said "You do realize ice is just frozen water, right?" Somehow I resisted adding "you ignorant little twat" to the end of my question but I was thinking it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
orangeshirt
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM
You can also get honey sticks...easy natural energy rush. I would suggest having hubs make up a cooler stocked with bottled water, string cheese, peanut butter sandwiches, nuts...easy, tasty go-to protein sources.

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

See they told me I wasn't allowed any clear liquids or food! I wish I had of known this! All they let me have was ice chips. And even though it was only like 4 hours I would have felt better if I had of eaten! They told me not to eat before I came to the hospital also but I ate some yogurt which did NOT help lol. I will def be sure to eat this time b4 I go and I will look into those little things. Thank you :)

Quoting TTC2Long:

You CAN eat, if you want. What are thry going to do, kick you out? I got Gu packets - it's rapidly bioavailable carbs for marathon runners and comes in small, Idk, 2oz packets you tear open and squeeze into your mouth. Quick n easy energy for your muscles. Sporting goods and outdoors places should have it. Just make sure you don't get ones with caffeine or other stimulants. I also packed nuts, but was too deep in labor at the hospital to eat them. At home I had a pb&h sandwich on whole grain bread at the start of labor.

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

Ok great thank you :)! I will bring it up Monday & tell him that's what I want. I was always wanting to drink something with dd anyways cause I was so hungry haha!

Quoting TTC2Long:

You can for sure decline the iv fluids. I got the heplock because starting a line in my tiny, prone-to-collapse veins is hard and would waste a lot of time in an emergency. But it wasn't connected to anything. Having it connected to the bag will limit your movements and cause swelling in both you AND baby. No need to make baby bigger! Also, it falsely inflates the birth weight so baby loses more in the first days as your milk comes in, potentially raising false red flags that you have a supply problem. You can just assign someone, dh, mom, doula, whoever, to water duty and make sure they know to offer water to sip between contractions. Billions of women birthed safely before ivs were invented and did just fine. ;)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Mine was in my forearm. I never even felt it and I labored in a bunch of different positions.

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

That's how I was also! My hand was so sore. And they had it in my right hand and all I wanted to do was grab onto the bed rail when I had a contraction but it hurt to bad to grab onto anything because of it I hated it. And I had to pee often and they had to roll the stupid little cart with the fluids to the bathroom then I had to fight a cord while trying to pee. It wasn't fun!

And as for that nurse I would probably have yelled @ someone lol. Especially if I'm in pain or nauseous.

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN