Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

First Prenatal Exam?

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:19 PM
  • 15 Replies

When I was pregnant with DS, I didn't schedule my first prenatal exam until I was just over 11 weeks along because, well, I didn't think I was pregnant. I felt so awful that I started my care kind of late, so this time I want to do it right.

My DH and I started questioning the possibility of me being pregnant again, especially with AF being over two weeks late now, so I POAS and sure enoug BFP. Based on my LMP that would put me around 6w2-3 days. Now I'm wondering when I should make my first appointment? I'm so confused because I feel I did EVERYTHING WRONG last pregnancy and want to get it right (or at least more right) this time around.

Oh, and I've only lived in my current city for 9 months, so I need to find a *NEW* OB/GYN, too.

So when should I start calling around to make an appointment?

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justmommy09
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM
I would start calling now. However all offices are different, my midwife wouldn't see me until I was ten weeks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FutureSoccerM0m
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Now is  good time to make some calls.  They probably won't take you until you're about 8 weeks.

RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM
Most offices won't see you until 8 weeks but some offices have long waits so it wouldn't hurt to call now & schedule it for in a few weeks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
victoriahearts
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Start calling now usually they will see you between 6 to 8 weeks

Becky.Mom.of.2
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM
Some wait until 10 weeks. I wouldn't feel bad, I was 13 weeks by the time I got in with my 2nd.

Quoting FutureSoccerM0m:

Now is  good time to make some calls.  They probably won't take you until you're about 8 weeks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmylilbean
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I called my OB as soon as I got my positive both times, and they ask LMP and base first appointment off of when you should be 8 weeks. They don't see you before 8 weeks where I go, unless there is some type of high risk situation they already know about.

JennyLee24
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:52 PM
I called right way..im 5 and half weeks. They cant get me in till 9 weeks. Seems like forever away. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Call now even though you probably wont be seen, yet.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:03 PM

If you're in the market for a new care provider, I would suggest also looking at midwives! Keep your mind open to the options. :)

I would start calling around now. My midwives won't see me until 12 weeks anyway. 

doulala
by Emerald Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I would interview for the Right care provider asap, early as possible.     

Who we hire for our maternity can often be our greatest risk factor, so really worth finding someone good.
Do you already know what kind of experience you
'd like, the kind of care?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)