Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HUGE baby. I need advice really badly. Doulala, I need you! And everyone else too. PIOG

Posted by   + Show Post

I had my 28 week appt on Thursday night. Let me preface this update by saying that I am an American living in Poland with my hubby and son. we've been here for 3.5 years. The idea on childbirth is much different here. The doctors dont get any extra money from performing a c section, so the rate of c section is much lower than in the US. (I had a c section with my son in the US in 2009 for a failed induction) My hubby and I decided to move back to the US in the next few years. But first we decided it would be better to have our last child here so I have a better chance at having a vbac. I have a doctor that up until now, I have loved. She was with me through a loss last year and it very much into doing things naturally. (when my iron was low, she give me a recipe for pickled beets instead of telling me to take an iron supplement) At my appt on Thursday, she did a u/s and my baby boy was measuring 31 weeks. :-( 1600 grams. Thats about 3.5 pounds. My dates are not off. I passed the glucose test with flying colors....I dont have eclampsa. Im as fit as a fiddle. I just make some big babies! DS1 was 11 lbs 6 oz and 22.5 inches long. She told me that its very likely that I will have another c section. :-( This conversation crushed me. Ive been thinking of nothing else since then. She said that this baby will be really big too, (probably bigger than my first) and she is worried about things like shoulder distocia, and my previous c section scar opening. She said that at 40 weeks, she's going to look at three things....1. the position of the baby, (he needs to be head down) 2. the estimated weight  3. the thickness of my internal scar via u/s. If the scar is looking thinned out, the baby is measuring over 4.5 kilos, and is not head down, she will reccomend a repeat c section. Of course she told me its my choice, but also mentioned that if I attempt a vaginal birth and something starts to go wrong, that NONE of the doctors will touch me for fear of being blamed for major injury or death. This frightened me. I dont know what to do now. I was induced last time and I think that had a lot to do with why I had the c section. Unless Im 42 weeks, I will refuse induction. I want my body to go into labor naturally. IF my body starts labor, and the labor process stalls or the baby's heartrate goes down, then of course, I will agree to a c section. I dont want to put my child's life at risk. So should I attempt a vaginal birth even though I will likely have a 12 lb + baby? I know that people always say that women can birth big babies......but I think they're talking about 10 pounds big, not 12 or 13 or 14 lbs!!!! What do you ladies think? I really dont want to distroy my body or hurt my baby. Should I just agree to a repeat section? Or should I let my body try? Im at such a loss. My hubby isnt much help. He used to be supportive untill Thursday and now he's telling me he's afraid I'll take it too far just to get what I want. He's afraid he'll loose baby AND me. I feel like crying all the time. I dont want to have another c section. I dont want to stay in a hospital for 5 days (standard here) where no one speaks English, wondering what they are doing to me and putting into my IV. I dont want to have antibiotics (preventitive) cause me to get thrush in my breast and pass that back and forth between me and baby and eventually give up on BF because it hurts so much. I dont want to have retained placenta a month after my c section and have another major vaginal hemmorage during a dinner party and get rushed to the ER and then have an unmedicated D&C in my doctor's office the next day. I dont want to go through months of trying to find the right formula for my baby and rushing him to the ER for constipation issues, all because I didnt BF longer than a month, again. finally, I dont want to do all this while living in a country away from my friends and family with no help. can anyone offer me some words of kindness and advice?

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:02 AM
Replies (31-40):
doulala
by Emerald Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

You are probably living in a safer environment than where I live (U.S) because cesareans are frequently unnecessary.
How about consulting with another care provider?     I would look into another opinion.


And personally I would never choose a cesarean without trying for a normal delivery first.     But with this doctor that might not be an opportunity...  ?

nikkifam5
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not saying she shouldn't. But what if by "trying" she ends up with a uterine rupture, which is more risk to her and baby. I would never want a section but id trust a Dr over there more then a Dr here any day





Quoting doulala:

You are probably living in a safer environment than where I live (U.S) because cesareans are frequently unnecessary.
How about consulting with another care provider?     I would look into another opinion.


And personally I would never choose a cesarean without trying for a normal delivery first.     But with this doctor that might not be an opportunity...  ?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Emerald Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM

There are greater risks with a surgical birth though.
Weighing risks and choosing what feels Right to an individual is what it's all about---   too personal for us to *tell* her what to do.     But knowing that a cesarean is very risky experience is important to factor in here, too.

Quoting nikkifam5:

I'm not saying she shouldn't. But what if by "trying" she ends up with a uterine rupture, which is more risk to her and baby. I would never want a section but id trust a Dr over there more then a Dr here any day

Quoting doulala:

You are probably living in a safer environment than where I live (U.S) because cesareans are frequently unnecessary.
How about consulting with another care provider?     I would look into another opinion.


And personally I would never choose a cesarean without trying for a normal delivery first.     But with this doctor that might not be an opportunity...  ?

fancyjane
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
A big baby is not a contraindication for a VBAC. It doesn't increase your risk of rupture that I am aware of.

At 22 weeks with my third (my first VBAC), I was told that he was "off the charts huge". I passed my GD test. They still maintained that he was going to be a huge baby. He really wasn't big at all. He was 6 lbs. 13 oz. (Born at 36 weeks 4 days.) I think they really just caught him after a growth spurt period or something.

And yes, women absolutely can birth big babies. I think the biggest on record is 14 lbs. A friend of mine had a VBAC with an almost 11 lb.baby. another friend just had an 11 lb. 15 oz. VBAC a few months ago.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nikkifam5
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:31 PM
I've never had to have a vbac but would it be riskier then a section in this case especially if the scar is thin and baby is macro?.. just genuinely curious

Quoting doulala:

There are greater risks with a surgical birth though.
Weighing risks and choosing what feels Right to an individual is what it's all about---   too personal for us to *tell* her what to do.     But knowing that a cesarean is very risky experience is important to factor in here, too.

Quoting nikkifam5:

I'm not saying she shouldn't. But what if by "trying" she ends up with a uterine rupture, which is more risk to her and baby. I would never want a section but id trust a Dr over there more then a Dr here any day


Quoting doulala:

You are probably living in a safer environment than where I live (U.S) because cesareans are frequently unnecessary.
How about consulting with another care provider?     I would look into another opinion.


And personally I would never choose a cesarean without trying for a normal delivery first.     But with this doctor that might not be an opportunity...  ?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Devious103102
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like she's just giving you the information but, at the end of the day she did say it's your choice.  Remember all of the weight guesses can be off (all of my girls were estimated to be MUCH bigger than they actually were). And yes, there have been women who've given vaginal birth (some without pain meds) to 11, 12+lbs babies, so it's absolutely possible. Just let her know that you'd like to proceed with a vbac and, in the event that things start to look like they're going wrong (baby stuck, hr dropping, etc etc) that you will, at that point, consent to a c-sec.  I'm sure she'll go with you on it. Like I said, they need to make you aware of all of the possibilities and let you know your options. Best of luck! 

doulala
by Emerald Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM

If she "just makes some big babies" then her body will make the uterus to support them.  It's not possible to know the baby's true size until they are on the outside so it is tricky~
I would want to get more opinions before consenting either way, avoid basing big decisions on one provider's opinion.

Quoting nikkifam5:

I've never had to have a vbac but would it be riskier then a section in this case especially if the scar is thin and baby is macro?.. just genuinely curious

Quoting doulala:
orangeshirt
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this
The actual risk of a dangerous rupture (one that could be injurious or fatal to mom or baby) is around 1 in 2000. Most uterine ruptures are minor and go unnoticed until after birth.


Quoting nikkifam5:

I'm not saying she shouldn't. But what if by "trying" she ends up with a uterine rupture, which is more risk to her and baby. I would never want a section but id trust a Dr over there more then a Dr here any day









Quoting doulala:

You are probably living in a safer environment than where I live (U.S) because cesareans are frequently unnecessary.
How about consulting with another care provider?     I would look into another opinion.


And personally I would never choose a cesarean without trying for a normal delivery first.     But with this doctor that might not be an opportunity...  ?


Posted on CafeMom Mobile
orangeshirt
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Baby isn't diagnosed as macro.

We don't know if the uterine wall is too thin.


Quoting nikkifam5:

I've never had to have a vbac but would it be riskier then a section in this case especially if the scar is thin and baby is macro?.. just genuinely curious



Quoting doulala:

There are greater risks with a surgical birth though.
Weighing risks and choosing what feels Right to an individual is what it's all about---   too personal for us to *tell* her what to do.     But knowing that a cesarean is very risky experience is important to factor in here, too.

Quoting nikkifam5:

I'm not saying she shouldn't. But what if by "trying" she ends up with a uterine rupture, which is more risk to her and baby. I would never want a section but id trust a Dr over there more then a Dr here any day



Quoting doulala:

You are probably living in a safer environment than where I live (U.S) because cesareans are frequently unnecessary.
How about consulting with another care provider?     I would look into another opinion.


And personally I would never choose a cesarean without trying for a normal delivery first.     But with this doctor that might not be an opportunity...  ?


Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikkifam5
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I was giving a scenario.

Quoting orangeshirt:

Baby isn't diagnosed as macro.



We don't know if the uterine wall is too thin.




Quoting nikkifam5:

I've never had to have a vbac but would it be riskier then a section in this case especially if the scar is thin and baby is macro?.. just genuinely curious





Quoting doulala:

There are greater risks with a surgical birth though.
Weighing risks and choosing what feels Right to an individual is what it's all about---   too personal for us to *tell* her what to do.     But knowing that a cesarean is very risky experience is important to factor in here, too.

Quoting nikkifam5:

I'm not saying she shouldn't. But what if by "trying" she ends up with a uterine rupture, which is more risk to her and baby. I would never want a section but id trust a Dr over there more then a Dr here any day




Quoting doulala:

You are probably living in a safer environment than where I live (U.S) because cesareans are frequently unnecessary.
How about consulting with another care provider?     I would look into another opinion.


And personally I would never choose a cesarean without trying for a normal delivery first.     But with this doctor that might not be an opportunity...  ?


Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)



Featured