Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

what's the diff?

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM
  • 12 Replies
I thought Braxton hix were the contractions that aren't same length apart. Come and go but not consistent and that real contractions are opposite. At hospital lady said I was having some contractions and even though they Arent consistent they're the real deal. So when I have some cramping that it's the real deal....what? I'm confused. I never experienced contractions before like this. Only time I did was when they were bad in hospital when I was crying could barely breathe and 5 or so minutes apart.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
becca2113
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM

i think what they are saying is that even though they are not constant and even though they are not close together they are strong contractions. they are real contractions braxton hix contractions arent that strong. if i were you i would be timing how far apart they are and how long they last

mama-smurf
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM
That's the thing cant time them. I got one at like 5am then 5 hours laterms, then in middle of night at 4am. Its not painful. It's more annoying because my belly balls up or tightens but i grips my bfs hand because its like breah taking.

Quoting becca2113:

i think what they are saying is that even though they are not constant and even though they are not close together they are strong contractions. they are real contractions braxton hix contractions arent that strong. if i were you i would be timing how far apart they are and how long they last

becca2113
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:15 AM

yeah thats normal contractions if it hurts that bad but the timing thing means they are braxton hix. thats why the said you were have normal ones though because tgey are strong how far along are you???  you might start thinning out and dialating

mama-smurf
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:19 AM
I'm 32 weeks.

Quoting becca2113:

yeah thats normal contractions if it hurts that bad but the timing thing means they are braxton hix. thats why the said you were have normal ones though because tgey are strong how far along are you???  you might start thinning out and dialating

JadeTigr7
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:29 AM

*Most* of the time real contractions are regular and increase in intensity, however, that's not always true.  My last labor my contractions never became regular but they were real.  They were real because they were making me efface and dilate.

BH contractions can be regular, or irregular, they can hurt, or just be pressure (painless) but they do NOT make you efface or dilate. 

mama-smurf
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM
I hope they're not real. Im only 32 weeks.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

*Most* of the time real contractions are regular and increase in intensity, however, that's not always true.  My last labor my contractions never became regular but they were real.  They were real because they were making me efface and dilate.

BH contractions can be regular, or irregular, they can hurt, or just be pressure (painless) but they do NOT make you efface or dilate. 

TTC2Long
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Right BH won't make you effaced or dilate, though they CAN be frequent, which makes them seems regular and uncomfortably strong. When I had ptl, I was told to watch for 6 or more contractions per hour. Anything less was not worrisome. :)

Quoting JadeTigr7:

mama-smurf
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Ok whew. I don't get that many in an hour. Nurse just said come back when they are 3 to 5 minutes apart

Quoting TTC2Long:

Right BH won't make you effaced or dilate, though they CAN be frequent, which makes them seems regular and uncomfortably strong. When I had ptl, I was told to watch for 6 or more contractions per hour. Anything less was not worrisome. :)

Quoting JadeTigr7:

TTC2Long
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
In the meantime, pay attention to what triggers it - typically walking, lifting, dehydration and an over-full bladder. Avoid those things whenever possible. But Braxton-Hicks aren't all bad - they get your uterus toned up and ready for labor. I had a TON of BH and a nice, fast labor. I'm sure that's partly why.

Quoting mama-smurf:

Ok whew. I don't get that many in an hour. Nurse just said come back when they are 3 to 5 minutes apart

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

JadeTigr7
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I'm having BH contractions now, they hurt, but they aren't doing anything.  RIght now, I only have about 3-4 a day (I'm almost 29 weeks).  Around 35 weeks I'll probably be having about 10-12 a day, and by the time I get to 37 weeks I'll probably start prodomeral labor (early labor) with real contractions.  IF this 5th labor is anything like the first 3.  My 4th one was just completely different than I was used to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN