Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Flu Shot?? Yes or No?

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM
  • 58 Replies

What you ladies think about the flu shot during pregnancy? I'm thinking about taking it.

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama-smurf
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM
No only because I don't like needles.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM
Yep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alliesaurus
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

im not a fan of it in general.

the flu shot is an injection of 3 inactive versions of the flu virus. There are thouands and thousands of versions of the virus and they change every year. The 3 they are giving this year were determined a year or two ago when they started to make them so you may not even have a risk of coming in contact with one of the three versions it would protect you against. It does however lower you immune system as your body works to build immunity to the 3 versions you were injected with making you vulnerable to any other active versions of flu you might actually contract. So you become more susceptible- hence the reason alot of people say they become sick more often when they get the flu shot than the years that they didn't.

its a game of chance and totally up to you ;)

personally i dont think its worth it and I'm either going to get sick or not. I work on taking lots of vitamins, handwashing, and drinking water myself and even more importantly with my kids. Its probably better if you got the flu shout outside of flu season- because it can take 6-8 weeks for your body to build the immunity...

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I had this conversation with my midwife last appointment.  

She said that the shot only covers the 2 most common strains from the previous year.  This year's shot is actually the same one from a few years ago (it hasn't changed.)  

She also suggested elderberry syrup, if I didn't want the shot.  

Honestly, I see pros and cons to both approaches.  Personally, I'm not taking the shot.  I'm going to start with the syrup and see how that works.  

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, we don't do flu shots at all. 

kcangel63
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:17 PM
3 moms liked this
No during pregnancy.

No any other time as well.
jackieb2811
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I never got flu shots and feel it is safest not to during pregnancy. My OB tried to push it but my gut said no and I am glad. I am normally a rather healthy person in general. I had my SO and my twins get the shots and we wash our hands at all times and I have been taking my vitamins and eating well.

The decision is yours some feel better about it others are against it I am obviously against since I do not even take it not pregnant.

abra
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:23 PM
nope, never. It protects against influenza, not the common stomach bug, anyway.
jasyoung2012
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I never get the flu shot...pregnant or not :) The only time I have ever gotten the flu was when my husband, then fiance, got it 2 years ago and he got it, then gave it to me, so no flu shots here :)

Randi02
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope.

We don't vaccinate at all, but especially not during pregnancy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)