Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Borderline swelling of brain 20 weeks??

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:01 PM
  • 53 Replies
Ok so last week we had our 20 week ultrasound and my ob called and said they saw borderline swelling of brain?? Freaking the hell out!!!! We go to a university hospital on Wednesday for a level 2 us. Has anyone else been told this and everything turn out ok??? I have been super stressed..I think my ob is just being cautious because we had a twin that didn't grow after 6 weeks??? Please someone talk me through this!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:04 PM
4 moms liked this

I have no idea. Just wanted to say, deep breaths and here is a hug for you. I'll be praying for you and little one.

Larsbug
by Laura on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM
2 moms liked this

no idea mama, but here is a bump for you

cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I'm not sure either but you and baby will be in my thoughts and I hope everything ends up being okay.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
japanmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:13 AM
1 mom liked this
My baby has ventriculomegaly that was diagnosed at 20 weeks. She's doing great at four months old now but we are closely watching her.

Try not to stress! Breath and wait until you know more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beccarn09
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM
That's great to hear that she is doing good!! Everything else is measuring accurately and the baby is very active :-) did you have to have extra ultrasounds done for rest of pregnancy??

Quoting japanmommy:

My baby has ventriculomegaly that was diagnosed at 20 weeks. She's doing great at four months old now but we are closely watching her.

japanmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:11 PM
Yes, lots. We had an MRI dine at 24 weeks too. She's had one MRI at five days old and she had one three weeks ago which we have an appt tomorrow to go over the results

Quoting beccarn09:

That's great to hear that she is doing good!! Everything else is measuring accurately and the baby is very active :-) did you have to have extra ultrasounds done for rest of pregnancy??

Quoting japanmommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommap87
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I had something similar with my baby at 12 weeks though. He had alot of fluid on the back of his neck and it was called Cystic hygloma but it went away by 20 weeks. Some babies can have fluid show up but it fixes itself by late pregnancy or birth. I was fortunate mine was one that cleared and hes 100% healthy. Im not sure about fluid on the brain but if they are monitoring you and doing all the tests I wouldnt panic yet. It CAN go away. Just pray sweetie and stay calm until you have more answers. I had a total freakout over nothing so I really wouldnt worry yet. I hope things turn out for you hun

amc103
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:20 PM
5 moms liked this

Im sorry to hear about that. I have a somewhat similar story...with DS1, they found CP cysts on his brain around 23-24 weeks. I had to go to a genetic counselor and meet with a high risk OB and have a more detailed u/s done. Turned out that they disappeared on their own by 30 weeks and DS1 is a smart, straping, loving 3.5 year old now. :-) sometimes, I think the latest technology can find too many things that we are not meant to see because its stuff that resolves itself as the pregnancy progresses. Its a double edged sword....we can do lots of testing early, but when situations like this happen, the doctors have to tell you the worst. Take it a day at a time and see what happens-easier said than done, I know, but it will be easier on your baby that way. Hang in there mama. We're here for you. Keep us posted. 

jessymoka
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM
My son had a choroid plexus cyst on his brain. I was around 14 weeks when it was discovered. Saw a perinatologist and had a butt load of ultrasounds, because I refused an amnio.
It resolved on its own, praise God!
He is 15 years old today and is an advanced reader, thoughtful, helpful, kind, just all together a well rounded kid.
I hope this is how your situation turns out too.
SkylarBeth
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Please don't freak out, you really need to try and stay as calm as possible, your baby doesn't need you to be stressed out right now. Like many of the other Momma's have said much of the time swelling or fluid resolves all by its self. With your lvl 2 US they will better be able to tell you what they think is going on, I know its a long ways away but I am certain your baby will be fine. I will follow your posts so that I can be of more supportive help when you find out whats going on :) Blessings of calmness and love to you my dear

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN