Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

ways to induce labor

Posted by   + Show Post

So I am due, and looking for ways to start my labor naturally so my doctor does not have to induce me. I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with doing anything to start their own labors. I'm willing to try anything that is safe for me and the baby. I was induced with my first and do not want to have to do that again. I've heard of some stuff but was wondering if anything has actually worked for actual people. Thanks. 

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:49 AM
Replies (11-20):
xmasbabyowen
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:59 AM

"Evening primrose oil contains prostaglandins, which are used for inducing labor. It is said to help soften and ripen the cervix to help prepare it for the birth of your baby."

"Evening primrose oil does not directly trigger the start of labor, but works by softening and ripening the cervix."

So, no I am not inducing labor, or trying to get baby out early. I am prepping my body for labor and delivery. Also.... GOOD JOB NOT READING THE LAST LINE! 37 weeks and beyond is FULL TERM, and 39 weeks is best, which I will be on tuesday the 18th. I did not need to hear some 'March of Dimes' advertisement from someone, thanks but I really don't need your advise or anyone else's for that matter. 

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

actually you have no idea about his weight. 3rd trimester ultrasounds are super inaccurate. full term is 40 weeks or more. sorry. even march of dimes will say to wait until at least 39 weeks AND to let labor start on its own. cervix dilation and effacement mean nothing. you could be zero and have a baby tomorrow. or be a 4 for weeks. don't get so hung up on numbers. just let baby come when baby is ready.

Quoting xmasbabyowen:

I am 38 weeks and 2 days, due on Christmas day.... I began taking Evening primrose oil thursday since it is recommended by midwives to soften the cervix and help prepare muscles for streching. Fri had check, I was still nowhere, cervix hard and no dialation, yet tuesday not even 4 days later I was 40% effaced and 1cm dialated! I'd say it is doing something. Next appt tuesday the 18th (39 weeks), and I cannot wait to see where I am. (And please, no comments about causing preature labor. He is full term now and 7lbs 11oz)

AngelNValdez
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM
There has been times where getting induced by a doctor can increase chances for a c-section & sometimes could make labor more painful. I would rather induce my labor by myself with walking or with sex than be medically induced.

Quoting doulala:

Why don't you want your doctor to induce you?
(But you want to induce yourself ?)
Are you having complications?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AngelNValdez
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:21 PM
I know dont you just hate when you try to ask a question & somebody has to answer back with a comment that doesn't help you & just seems like a smart remark? & Sex kinda helps like primrose oil by softening the cervix because of the semen.

Quoting xmasbabyowen:

"Evening primrose oil contains prostaglandins, which are used for inducing labor. It is said to help soften and ripen the cervix to help prepare it for the birth of your baby."

"Evening primrose oil does not directly trigger the start of labor, but works by softening and ripening the cervix."

So, no I am not inducing labor, or trying to get baby out early. I am prepping my body for labor and delivery. Also.... GOOD JOB NOT READING THE LAST LINE! 37 weeks and beyond is FULL TERM, and 39 weeks is best, which I will be on tuesday the 18th. I did not need to hear some 'March of Dimes' advertisement from someone, thanks but I really don't need your advise or anyone else's for that matter. 

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

actually you have no idea about his weight. 3rd trimester ultrasounds are super inaccurate. full term is 40 weeks or more. sorry. even march of dimes will say to wait until at least 39 weeks AND to let labor start on its own. cervix dilation and effacement mean nothing. you could be zero and have a baby tomorrow. or be a 4 for weeks. don't get so hung up on numbers. just let baby come when baby is ready.

Quoting xmasbabyowen:

I am 38 weeks and 2 days, due on Christmas day.... I began taking Evening primrose oil thursday since it is recommended by midwives to soften the cervix and help prepare muscles for streching. Fri had check, I was still nowhere, cervix hard and no dialation, yet tuesday not even 4 days later I was 40% effaced and 1cm dialated! I'd say it is doing something. Next appt tuesday the 18th (39 weeks), and I cannot wait to see where I am. (And please, no comments about causing preature labor. He is full term now and 7lbs 11oz)

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I didn't understand why you want any induction if you aren't having complications.

Quoting AngelNValdez:

There has been times where getting induced by a doctor can increase chances for a c-section & sometimes could make labor more painful. I would rather induce my labor by myself with walking or with sex than be medically induced.

Quoting doulala:

AngelNValdez
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Because its tiring at the end

Quoting doulala:

I didn't understand why you want any induction if you aren't having complications.

Quoting AngelNValdez:

Quoting doulala:

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM

So.. you're putting comfort before your baby's well-being?

It's tiring and miserable for everyone at the end. But as mothers, we must do what is best for our BABY, not what's more convenient/comfortable for ourselves. Sometimes it's easy to make the mistake of thinking comfort means best for baby. 

Quoting AngelNValdez:

Quoting doulala:

Quoting AngelNValdez:

Quoting doulala:

doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Sleep, rest, nourishment, hydration, and many other things can help with that--  without adding unnecessary risks.       Walking and sex are under the category of things we do already and not usually adding unnecessary risks for most moms.

*Guessing that baby was born already though.  ;-)

Quoting AngelNValdez:

Quoting doulala:

Quoting AngelNValdez:

Quoting doulala:

AngelNValdez
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Umm im 39 weeks, im full term. My babys fine. I wouldnt induce labor if hes wasnt & I think thats the same for anyone!

Quoting Pandapanda:

It's tiring and miserable for everyone at the end. But as mothers, we must do what is best for our BABY, not what's more convenient/comfortable for ourselves. Sometimes it's easy to make the mistake of thinking comfort means best for baby. 

Quoting AngelNValdez:

Quoting doulala:

Quoting AngelNValdez:

Quoting doulala:

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM

So if you're full term and he's ready to come, why are you not in labor?

Labor is triggered when the baby's lungs have finished developing and begins producing one particular hormone.

(I'm playing devil's advocate here. Don't get hissy with me.)

Quoting AngelNValdez:

Umm im 39 weeks, im full term. My babys fine. I wouldnt induce labor if hes wasnt & I think thats the same for anyone!

Quoting Pandapanda:

Quoting AngelNValdez:

Quoting doulala:

Quoting AngelNValdez:

Quoting doulala:

AngelNValdez
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:27 PM
No but Im about to go into labor. Ha. I didntt try to induce myself it just started happening today on its own. I was just saying some people choose to.

Quoting doulala:

Sleep, rest, nourishment, hydration, and many other things can help with that--  without adding unnecessary risks.       Walking and sex are under the category of things we do already and not usually adding unnecessary risks for most moms.

*Guessing that baby was born already though.  ;-)

Quoting AngelNValdez:

Quoting doulala:

Quoting AngelNValdez:

Quoting doulala:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN