Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Possible abuse question

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM
  • 55 Replies

If someone children constantly had scratches, bruises and bloody noses but always offered an excuse before you asked would you be worried that it was neglect or abuse or just think that the children really are that clumsy?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Trina02
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:58 AM
I personally would be worried about that child. how old is the child, and it is a boy or girl? Just wondering. Also does this kid play alot of sports? For example if its a young boy that plays football , hockey, etc. and maybe you could try to out rule any causes that would be contributing to this but that sounds horrible.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sparklebug86
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM
2 boys, 2 1/2 and 18 months. I'm more concerned about the 2 year old. He is always bruised but she always has an excuse. Today he had another busted nose and she says he fell off of his booster seat. I don't doubt that but where was she that this happened? Was he not buckled in? The 18 month old was brought with a black eye and she blamed it on the 2 y/o. This morning she said "they look so bad but they do it to themselves."

Quoting Trina02:

I personally would be worried about that child. how old is the child, and it is a boy or girl? Just wondering. Also does this kid play alot of sports? For example if its a young boy that plays football , hockey, etc. and maybe you could try to out rule any causes that would be contributing to this but that sounds horrible.
Turtledoves
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:28 AM
That's tricky. I know a lot of people that have toddler boys who are just rough and wild. They climb and fall and get hurt all the time. It could just be him being adventurous at this stage.

Quoting sparklebug86:

2 boys, 2 1/2 and 18 months. I'm more concerned about the 2 year old. He is always bruised but she always has an excuse. Today he had another busted nose and she says he fell off of his booster seat. I don't doubt that but where was she that this happened? Was he not buckled in? The 18 month old was brought with a black eye and she blamed it on the 2 y/o. This morning she said "they look so bad but they do it to themselves."

Quoting Trina02:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama_pink_tink
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM

it would depend. I speak from expierence. I was (is) an extreamly clumsy child/adult. I always had my reasons for being scratched/brused, but I was also in a house of 4 kids. 2 of us were always fighting at any time. Not to mention I trip over nothing and walls jump out in front of me.... My son plays very rough, mainly with his uncles, and can be so very clumsy himself. If he changes his story, or his story is too 'scripted' then id be concerned. 

RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM
That's tricky! I know a lot of boys are wild & probably do get Hurt themselves but it would cause concern for me as well if it was constantly a new thing. I would probably try and pay attention to the shape of them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
britniwheeler
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:36 AM

When my boys were two they always had bumps, bruises and cuts. I can honestly say that it wasn't from me abusing them. They are toddler boys. My guess is that is all it is. I was always taught to look for bruises that are not on the extremities. Little kids have a lot of bruises on the arms, legs and head. It is not normal to have a lot of bruises on the abdomen, back or buttocks.  

mama2gg
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Yes very much so only because they jump to tell you what happened like they are all ready defensive
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
junebutterfly
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Is be cautious but then again I have a 2 year old and a 14 month old and they are pretty rough with eachother now that said neither one has ever had bloody lips or noses just bumps and bruises.
tjane3000
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Kids especially that age are always rough and getting hurt. Especially boys! My son is 17mo and I swear he is constantly falling off of things and running into things. He is a big climber. And 2 that age are hard to keep up with. Lol I have a hard time keeping up with one! I think it's great that your paying attention and you should maybe talk to the mom. Just approach it cautiously.
Momma2013
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Where do these boys come from? Do you baby sit them or something? If you're able to spend a bit of time with them, I'm sure you'll be able to tell what's real and what's not. I babysat kids who always had marks on them, no bloody noses but HUGE bruises and things and they even got some when I was watching them. No matter what you do, there are some kids who just play rougher than most and will get hurt. Maybe when mom's not around you can ask the boy. Just say what happened or something, at 2 he can probably give enough of a description to tell you he fell or got abused.

Btw - just in case this is abuse, you need to start taking note of EVERYTHING you see the date and mom's explanation. I hope they're just rough little boys, there's NO reason for abuse on children. They are so defenseless...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)