Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hcg levels

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:05 PM
  • 10 Replies

I had my levels tested yesterday - something I didn't do in the first pregnancy and it was only 17. Anything over 5 is considered normal for this time, but I'm still worried. With my DS, I didn't even get a positive hpt at 5 days late (FR measures at 15 hcg I think).  I've gotten three positives this time.  I ended up getting a positive urine test at the doctor at five days late with my son and it was very faint. Should I be freaked out or should I just chill out?  I've got no pain, I have mild pregnancy symptoms and I feel fine.  I feel like having an anxiety attack, but otherwise I feel fine.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sparklebug86
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I dont understand why they test for HCG instead of doing a sono??? The drs here do the same at 10 weeks, you can clearly see a baby at 10 weeks so why do they waste an appt to check the HCG???

Randi02
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM
17 doesn't mean anything until the results from the test done 48 hours later come back.

Anything over 5, but under 25 is still inconclusive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dizziestdream
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I'm not 10 weeks yet. Only 4. It's very early.

Quoting sparklebug86:

I dont understand why they test for HCG instead of doing a sono??? The drs here do the same at 10 weeks, you can clearly see a baby at 10 weeks so why do they waste an appt to check the HCG???

dizziestdream
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM

The doctor hasn't seen the results yet, but I'm guessing he will test again on Friday.

Quoting Randi02:

17 doesn't mean anything until the results from the test done 48 hours later come back.

Randi02
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM
You can't see anything at only 4 weeks. You can't see much until levels reach around 2000.

Quoting sparklebug86:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dizziestdream
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Exactly. I was 6 weeks when we saw DS for the first time.

Quoting Randi02:

You can't see anything at only 4 weeks. You can't see much until levels reach around 2000.

Quoting sparklebug86:

Randi02
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Oh, ok. He only ordered one test? My doctor usually gives orders for both.

Quoting dizziestdream:

The doctor hasn't seen the results yet, but I'm guessing he will test again on Friday.

Quoting Randi02:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dizziestdream
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Just the one because their urine test aren't sensitive enough to detect this early.  I'm waiting to hear from him.

Quoting Randi02:

Oh, ok. He only ordered one test? My doctor usually gives orders for both.

Quoting dizziestdream:

Quoting Randi02:

sparklebug86
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM

right and my dr wont see you until 8-10 weeks but they still do the hcg first

Quoting dizziestdream:

Exactly. I was 6 weeks when we saw DS for the first time.

Quoting Randi02:

Quoting sparklebug86:

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
dizziestdream
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

My doctor is great! He said the levels show I'm pregnant, but probably a little less than 4w4d like I'm assuming (basing it off a 28 cycle and conceiving somewhere in the middle).  He ordered another test for Friday. Thanks for all the feedback!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)