Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth plan/ hospital polices.... Questions!!! Please help me out!

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM
  • 27 Replies

Ok, this is my second baby. I had a bad experience at my previous hospital.

I am starting fresh, a brand new hospital, 5 star rated. I am writing a birth plan this time as well.

How do you find your hospital policies? Do you have to ask your OB?

I have questions about if I will be able to do things on my birthplan such as:

Walk around during labor/Birthing ball

Be monitored intermittently vs. constantly

Can I refuse to have my water broken artificially?

Delayed cord clamping/ cutting.

Birthing/ laboring positions

Have an IV for emergency reasons only (I will have one put in, but not hooked up)

Touching babies head while crowning

Being allowed to progress with no time limits or medical intervention, as long as everythings ok.

Do any of you have experience with any of this?? Let me know about your birth plan, hospital policies, how best to discuss, and how well it went over! Thanks!!!

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
scperdomo
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Those are things to discuss with your OB, not the hospital.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kilahchaos
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Well, I am going to. But I guess I am wondering if some of those things are against hospital policy, and if I wont be able to do them?

Quoting scperdomo:

scperdomo
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Highly unlikely. If your OB is down with it, you should be fine. Considering you OB would have privileges at the hospital, unless what you want to do would put you or someone else in harm's way, I don't see why the hospital would have a policy against it.

Quoting kilahchaos:

Well, I am going to. But I guess I am wondering if some of those things are against hospital policy, and if I wont be able to do them?

Quoting scperdomo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoddessNDaRuff
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM

You have to ask. I can never find them on the site. But a lot of that is why I go at the last minute instead of laboring there. I refused to be "strapped" down to a damn bed again.

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Talk with your OB and make things clear, get clear answers from your OB as well.   

MsNeene
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:58 PM
I would start be asking your OB. Since he delivers at the hospital he should have a good knowledge of their policies and his/her own policies. I asked my OB in the beginning because he is a new OB for me and new hospital (prev two babies born at Travis Air Force base with same team of dr's and since I'm high risk I was pretty limited in what I could do). My OB put me at ease and told me about how he felt about the things I wanted to do. I really want to walk in labor because I'm always induced and previously I was stuck in bed. He assured me that this time around I could walk around because the hospital had monitors that were mobile and could go with me. I was ecstatic!! My baby will need constant monitoring during labor and delivery so it made me happy that I could get that and still be able to labor how I want. I would take your birth plan with you to the dr and just see if they have any concerns about it. Good luck Hun!!!!
TTC2Long
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Write up your plan and take it with you to your next appointment. That should give you a pretty good idea. I also had my ob sign it, so it became a doctor's orders that the hospital had to follow if she wasn't there. And she wasn't. Don't count on your ob delivering you unless it's her practice to deliver her own patients.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:02 PM
And none of the stuff you mentioned is unreasonable. Have you considered delayed cord clamping?
kilahchaos
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM

yes, that was on my list up there :) I want to wait untill it is done pulsing before clamping and cutting.

Quoting TTC2Long:

And none of the stuff you mentioned is unreasonable. Have you considered delayed cord clamping?

TTC2Long
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:22 PM
Sorry, I was trying to multitask. Lol. I meant, I would specify how long to delay - to them, one minute is delayed. Kwim? I'd specifically write in to wait until it is finished pulsating before cutting.

Quoting kilahchaos:

yes, that was on my list up there :) I want to wait untill it is done pulsing before clamping and cutting.

Quoting TTC2Long:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)