Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

So who's playing "catcher" at your delivery?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:24 PM
  • 23 Replies

DH and I go to a birthing center, not a hospital, where they let father "catch" the baby if he wants. Some mothers even do it. DH and I have decided to have him be the one to do it and my midwife is fine with it. He's extremely excited and I think it'll be a great bonding experience for him and baby. He feels a little shorted that he can't experience baby like I can, which I can understand.

Are you going to try to do it yourself or have SO? Or, do you plan to go more traditional and just let the doctor do it? I'm not sure how open hospitals are to this idea, but how many of you would choose to if you could?

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
XxPixiesworldxX
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM
I think ill ask my midwife about this on monday at my appointment. Ill be delivering in a hospital and my midwife caught my last baby, but dh would love to!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RheaF
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:29 PM
My Midwife. DH is not ok with catching, lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
clz0213
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Definitely. A friend of mine pushed her daughter out until she was passed the shoulders, then was able to pull her up into her arms on her own. I think it's a more natural approach to just have the doctors and nurses there, but let mother or father catch. Hope your midwife lets you. :)

Quoting XxPixiesworldxX:

I think ill ask my midwife about this on monday at my appointment. Ill be delivering in a hospital and my midwife caught my last baby, but dh would love to!!

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:39 PM

The doula and I were just talking about this.  I'm talking about it with DH this weekend (he's out of town.) 

I'd love it if he were able to catch the baby. 

heartagram_girl
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:43 PM

My hospital has a very nice policy- that if the doctor is not there to 'catch' the baby, then the entire hospital stay is free. So it is policy for the doc to catch. I dont mind. But I am trying to talk hubby into cutting the cord- but he is scared of hurting me or the baby.

clz0213
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM

That's interesting, but a good policy in my opinion.

He's afraid of hurting you guys? That's kind of funny, but sweet. I think it's cute men get so paranoid about things like that. DH is just worried about getting squirted, but we're doing delayed cord cutting so I keep having to remind him that it won't happen.

Quoting heartagram_girl:

My hospital has a very nice policy- that if the doctor is not there to 'catch' the baby, then the entire hospital stay is free. So it is policy for the doc to catch. I dont mind. But I am trying to talk hubby into cutting the cord- but he is scared of hurting me or the baby.

JadeTigr7
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:52 PM

My husband isn't at all interested in catching.  I'd love to, but i'll depend on the position I end up pushing in.  Otherwise I trust my midwife to catch if I'm not.

heartagram_girl
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I think it is a good policy too. And he is afraid of hurting us because it is cutting a part of me AND the baby- even after I told him there are no nerve endings! We want to do delayed cord cutting as well. I have been reading a lot of articles about it, and I plan on talking to my doc about it at my next visit. I am learning so much- this is my first pregnancy!

Quoting clz0213:

He's afraid of hurting you guys? That's kind of funny, but sweet. I think it's cute men get so paranoid about things like that. DH is just worried about getting squirted, but we're doing delayed cord cutting so I keep having to remind him that it won't happen.

Quoting heartagram_girl:

CafeMom Tickers
clz0213
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM

It's mine too. I've learned a whole lot since I started with my midwife and definitely don't regret switching for a second! Sounds like you are just like me. In my spare time I read about pregnancy....everything lol. Or I did. I know a lot more now then I did. I enjoy looking up the information on all of it. Funny, since I always hated research papers in school lol

Quoting heartagram_girl:

I think it is a good policy too. And he is afraid of hurting us because it is cutting a part of me AND the baby- even after I told him there are no nerve endings! We want to do delayed cord cutting as well. I have been reading a lot of articles about it, and I plan on talking to my doc about it at my next visit. I am learning so much- this is my first pregnancy!

Quoting clz0213:

Quoting heartagram_girl:

GoddessNDaRuff
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I caught my youngest. I don't know with this baby. I wanted my husband to do it but now I changed my mind about even wanting to let him down there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN