Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pain control options during labor?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:14 PM
  • 23 Replies

I was just curious what you ladies have used for pain control during labor? I am being induced Saturday due to PIH and with my first I used an epidural. However, I am going to try to go all natural this time. If I can't make it and want to use something I am trying to avoid the epidural because I know they cath you and I have a history of UTI's (not in a while but I am not trying to get one again) and I am not allowed antibiotics unless absolutely necessary because I was one of the unlucky people who works in healthcare to contract cdiff and after curing it they want you to stay away from antibiotics for fear of reoccurence. What are other options available to me? I am going to ask the doctor once we are at the hospital but I want to have some knowledge of what is available. I will be allowed to sit on an exercise ball, stand in the warm shower and walk. We can't afford a doula and the hospital doesn't provide them. I have been drinking redraspberry leaf tea because I heard it helps with recovery. Any suggestions/ideas/info would be great! Thanks!

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
unspecified42
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I think one of the keys to having a successful natural labor is realizing that you can make it. It isn't something that is going to be decided for you, it's a decision you can make even prior to labor. That doesn't mean it won't be hard, but it does mean that the outcome is already decided.

I had an epidural with my first as well, and then have had four unmedicated deliveries since (one was a pitocin induction). If you are being induced with pitocin, unfortunately your options might be limited due to the need for monitoring. I think that the best non-pharmacological option I found personally was the shower. It helped more than I thought it was, and really helped me relax through some intense contractions and helped with the pain. Plus you are standing, which helps with progression. 

If you aren't wanting to avoid medication all together but just don't want the epidural, they are able to give you IV medication as well. Just be forewarned that many places won't give you anything as delivery nears because it can depress the baby's respiratory drive, which they don't want to have happening when s/he comes out. But quite frankly, even though it's painful, at that point you've reached no return and it will just happen.

Even if you don't have a trained doula, there is a lot that a labor partner can do. I'm sure there is a plethora of information available online about massage points and methods that they could look into and try during labor as well. And having someone there to support your decision and plan is invaluable.

RheaF
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Check out Hypnobirthing, it is truest amazing!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I also didnt want an epidural the first time around, but agreed to take nubain. I really dont know a lot about it, they just told me it would just "take the edge off." Well... it made me sleep for two hours in the middle of my labor! I woke up and they asked if I felt like pushing, and I said, "No, I feel like taking a nap." I don't think it's supposed to work like that on everyone... just throwing it out there as an option.

november117
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:44 AM
Ultimately I would like to avoid any pain meds. But I just wanted to know my options just on case. Dh said he would rub my back or dp whatever he had to to help. :)

How bad were the pitocin contractions?

Quoting unspecified42:

I think one of the keys to having a successful natural labor is realizing that you can make it. It isn't something that is going to be decided for you, it's a decision you can make even prior to labor. That doesn't mean it won't be hard, but it does mean that the outcome is already decided.

I had an epidural with my first as well, and then have had four unmedicated deliveries since (one was a pitocin induction). If you are being induced with pitocin, unfortunately your options might be limited due to the need for monitoring. I think that the best non-pharmacological option I found personally was the shower. It helped more than I thought it was, and really helped me relax through some intense contractions and helped with the pain. Plus you are standing, which helps with progression. 

If you aren't wanting to avoid medication all together but just don't want the epidural, they are able to give you IV medication as well. Just be forewarned that many places won't give you anything as delivery nears because it can depress the baby's respiratory drive, which they don't want to have happening when s/he comes out. But quite frankly, even though it's painful, at that point you've reached no return and it will just happen.

Even if you don't have a trained doula, there is a lot that a labor partner can do. I'm sure there is a plethora of information available online about massage points and methods that they could look into and try during labor as well. And having someone there to support your decision and plan is invaluable.

november117
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:46 AM
I had nubain once for a trip to the er for this awful stomach virus I had. It made me super loopy. Pain meds like morphine affect me pretty intensely.

Quoting brittany208:

I also didnt want an epidural the first time around, but agreed to take nubain. I really dont know a lot about it, they just told me it would just "take the edge off." Well... it made me sleep for two hours in the middle of my labor! I woke up and they asked if I felt like pushing, and I said, "No, I feel like taking a nap." I don't think it's supposed to work like that on everyone... just throwing it out there as an option.

november117
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:46 AM
I will thank you!

Quoting RheaF:

Check out Hypnobirthing, it is truest amazing!

november117
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Bump :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Nubain makes it hard for me to breathe and I tend to freak out.  

I don't like pain meds.  I am unable to get an epidural, so that's never been an option for me.

I breathe through my contractions, and with my last, the tub and shower were lifesavers. 

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:16 PM
I leaned into and sat on a birthing ball, used the shower/bath, squatted, layed on my side (NOT back), got on my hands and knees, rocked back and forth with my hips, hung on my DH, sang, and used Hypnobirthing.

Also remember to keep up your strength by eating soft foods and keep drinking to avoid dehydration.
november117
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:20 PM
I don't either. I want nothing and that is what I am going for but incase I really can't do it anymore I want to be educated on my options.

I am induction so I would imagine I will have to be monitored but they may let me off long enough to get in the water. If not, I am bringing my heating pad for back pain.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Nubain makes it hard for me to breathe and I tend to freak out.  

I don't like pain meds.  I am unable to get an epidural, so that's never been an option for me.

I breathe through my contractions, and with my last, the tub and shower were lifesavers. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)