Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Glucose tolerance drink (?) piog

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:07 PM
  • 25 Replies
What was the sugar amount of the drink that you were given when you had your 1 hour or 3 hour?

I was given a 100mg sugar drink with both the 1 hour and 3 hour.
I read a post where Doulala commented with information on GD and the tests doctors give. The information had said(I believe) that the most common drink is 50mg, but some doctors give 75mg.
I guess I just don't understand why I was given this drink and they really expected me to be in the range of a normal, non pregnant person. The normal glucose range is 70-130. Since pregnant women have an out of whack system, why don't they change those ranges?

My 1 hour test was 155.
For 3 hour:
Fasting: 78
1 hour: 158
2 hour: 190
3 hour : 198
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrs.Martinez201
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:09 PM
I don't remember , but I do know she said the 3 hour was stronger . I do know it was nasty. I am really bad at this diabetic thing though, so good luck!
.KFeatherable.
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Well now I am having to be on a strict diet and monitor my blood sugar. So far, this day has been really good and my sugar is in the range where they want it! Hoping that I don't have to be put on insulin
Pandapanda
by Amber on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:59 PM
2 moms liked this

They really don't give you a diagnosis on gestational diabetes- it's overdosing yourself with sugar and expecting your body to flush it out. The only accurate way to test for GD is to do a finger prick after every meal for a full 7 days and look at your chart of blood sugar levels.

KRYSTALK1013
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:40 AM
I think I was given 8 ounces. I had the 1 hour test and had to fast for 12 hours prior. To me, it tasted like flat orange soda. Wasn't good, but wasn't as horrible as people made it out to be. I just gulped it down and sat still for a few minutes. I got a little dizzy from the sugar rush, but that's it.
shoot4thestars
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I'm not sure, I only had to do the one hour test and it tasted like flat 7 up, but they never made me fast.

MelRosen
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:56 AM

agreed with the above. I have always passed the one hour but this time I asked my Dr to just do glucose profiling (finger sticking 4 Times a day) for a few days and those results actually showed that my blood sugar runs on the low end of normal. no one realistically consumes 100 grams of sugar in one sitting anyway, not to mention I did not want to consume that disgusting drink. also my doc says the fasting number is most important bc it is the one least in your control- the other numbers are based largely on what you have eaten. and 78 fasting is a good number.......

sparklebug86
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I dont know but I do know that it made me feel AWFUL!

CheyennesMommy2
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Im a phleb, I do these tests every day. One hour/50g Three/100g

Maybe call your dr and ask about it. Hope you get it worked out.i kow ne dr asked we give 100g for a one hour test once but I left before she came in so maybe she wasnt a pregnant glucose test...im not sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriAnn87
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I just had my one hour and I was giving a 8 oz cup with flat orange soda and I was told to eat lots of carb couple of days before the test but now i have to go back in 2 weeks to do the 3 hours one because i didn't pass the one hour test. The nurse told me to drink lots of water and to fast so after 9pm christmas night i can't have anything expect water all the way up to my test and then stop once i get to the dr's office.

Pandapanda
by Amber on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM

That irks me- asking you to eat a large amount of carbs then giving you something really sugary before the test is setting you up to fail. Not even joking there. You should have been told to eat like you normally do, not to change anything. 

Quoting LoriAnn87:

I just had my one hour and I was giving a 8 oz cup with flat orange soda and I was told to eat lots of carb couple of days before the test but now i have to go back in 2 weeks to do the 3 hours one because i didn't pass the one hour test. The nurse told me to drink lots of water and to fast so after 9pm christmas night i can't have anything expect water all the way up to my test and then stop once i get to the dr's office.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)