Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

To gain or not to gain?

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

I am now 11 weeks pregnant. I had my first ob appointment on December 3rd. I weighed 185 before I got pregnant. ( I gained a lot of weight after stopping bc in May due to undiagnosed pcos) When I got weighed at my appointment I was 178, and when I weighed today I am at 175. My doctor says this is fine as I have had some nausea, but mostly she thinks it's due to I am taking metformin for blood sugar, and I cut out processed foods, and cut back on junk food, and completely cut out pop. She said it would be better in my case to eat healthy and as long as I am not cutting calories that it is okay to lose weight or even maintain current weight for my pregnancy. 

Is there anyone else who doctors have said this. I am just curious as this will be our first child, and I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to make them healthy. I do know because I have high blood sugar due to pcos that gaining lots of weight can cause problems. I am taking prenatals, walking daily, and eating a healthy balanced diet.

Thanks in advance for input.

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Yeah.  It's pretty common.   

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Yes it is common. 

MommyShanna2011
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I've known people who gained less than 15lbs their whole pregnancies due to being a little bit heavier to start (medical reasons, neglect, whatever else) then doing their best to be healthy for their unborn children.

It's pretty common for doctors to be alright with it so long as you're not starving yourself or trying to lose weight. Just keep with a healthy diet and it'll be okay. Your doctor should be the first to let you know if you've lost too much/need to gain weight, and usually you should be able to trust your doctor's judgement.

Oh, and congrats on your first baby!

Always1222
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Okay, well thanks you all for sharing :)

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Very normal.

luvhubandbabys
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I lost 20 lbs by the time I was 17 weeks.. then started gaining :) bby was perfectly healthy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SkylarBeth
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:30 PM

This is very typical of what happens when we start eating better, and your only 11 weeks, give it some time :)

Devious103102
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Its perfectly fine seeing as you were overweight to begin with. No worries. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN