Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

HELP! High blood pressure/anxiety and pregnancy..

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM
  • 7 Replies

My names Kayla. I'm 23 weeks and 6 days pregnant with my first baby. It's a girl Kristina! My boyfriend and I are so very excited. Luckily for me I have had a decently easy pregnancy I would say. No morning sickness, no mood swings, nothing. But I think I had high blood pressure before getting pregnant, I never did get diagnosed with it, but I get anxitery very bad when I think about my blood pressure. It's so hard for me to stop thinking about it because Im scared for what can happen to me and my baby. I had my appointment yesterday, and baby Kristinas heartbeat is completely fine and i have no protein in my urine. I have to get some tests ran and blood drawn, and havent yet done it becuase of the fear of the doctor but know that it HAS TO BE DONE ! My doctor said that shes 99 percent sure that i just have anxiety issues when getting my bp taken, and she thinks that everythings fine. I just would like some other mothers stories that have high blood pressure or anxiety issues while pregnant. It would be much appreciated !!! Thank You

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
B1Bomber
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I have fairly low BP normally (115/65), but in my first pregnancy I had severe preeclampsia and this pregnancy my BP has been hovering in the 135/75 range, a little high for me. With my preeclampsia, I did end up delivering early, but my son and I are both perfectly healthy. He didn't even have to spend time in the NICU, which surprised the drs.

There are a few things you can do to keep your BP stable when it's measured: make sure you are sitting quietly with both feet flat on the floor and your arm supported at around chest level. Talking, crossing your legs, dangling your feet, or checking pressure too quickly after walking can all show falsely elevated results. Also, caffeine and sodium will cause short term spikes in BP, so schedule your appts when you won't have just had your coffee/snack/chocolate.

zoso12
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:57 PM

If I may ask, when did you give birth during your first pregnancy with the high blood pressure? But thanks for your comment, anyones replys are greatly appreciated! 

soaringflutes
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Just keep all of your doctor's appointments, remember to breathe, and call your doctor if anything unusual happens.

zoso12
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Quoting B1Bomber:

I have fairly low BP normally (115/65), but in my first pregnancy I had severe preeclampsia and this pregnancy my BP has been hovering in the 135/75 range, a little high for me. With my preeclampsia, I did end up delivering early, but my son and I are both perfectly healthy. He didn't even have to spend time in the NICU, which surprised the drs.

There are a few things you can do to keep your BP stable when it's measured: make sure you are sitting quietly with both feet flat on the floor and your arm supported at around chest level. Talking, crossing your legs, dangling your feet, or checking pressure too quickly after walking can all show falsely elevated results. Also, caffeine and sodium will cause short term spikes in BP, so schedule your appts when you won't have just had your coffee/snack/chocolate.

f I may ask, when did you give birth during your first pregnancy with the high blood pressure? But thanks for your comment, anyones replys are greatly appreciated! 

Devious103102
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

You know the stress from the anxiety can actually make your BP rise, right? So your best bet is to stop stressing over it.  Meditate, go for walks, do yoga, whatever you have to to keep your stress/anxiety down. If you had an issue with your BP your doctor would mention it so I'm sure it's fine. 

B1Bomber
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:45 PM

My first son was born a little over a month early.

mama2gg
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:51 PM
Anxiety causes high bp
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN