Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Discipline? Too Harsh? (OT) Opinions needed

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is this mother doing the right thing by taking all of christmas(gifts) away from her kids?

Options:

Yes

No!

Thats just wrong

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 91

View Results

Im not pointing any fingers to anyone but I saw a post and im curious to see how many people agree or not agree with this disciplinary act.

A mother of 4 children (2,3,5,6 yr olds) has decided that her children dont deserve to have christmas because they took crayons and markers to a bassinet for her unborn child. Now Im sure as anyone would be pissed about this.

But with the children being so young, do you agree that taking every present for christmas you bought for them back to the store and having no presents under the tree at all is a good idea for discipline?

Why or why isnt it a good idea?

My personal opinion is No. Because these children are young and still have lots to learn. Sure they may know better but they are still in the age of not quite grasping WHY it happened. My 5 yr old has tried a similar thing, she thought it was fun and didnt look at the bigger picture that it would destroy the room and as a punishment I took their freedom in seperate rooms away and anything that involves markers, crayons, paints, or stickers is in my room only to be used when im watching.

Tell me your opinions on this, id love to know. Im not mentioning any names but im trying to get more open honest opinion on this. Thank you

by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
nikkifam5
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this
My 3 kids have been so naughty lately. And have had a huge disrespectful attitude with me and DH. We have thought about holding all their gifts hostage until after Christmas to teach them a lesson. They are starting to understand Christmas isn't about the gifts but non the less they would be very upset. We most likely won't do that although with the way they have been we should. I can see the point in its recurring naughty behavior. Although a 2,3 years old are learning good behavior where as the 5,6 yr old should know better
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mama2gg
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Thats HORRID this mom needs a parenting wake up check
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Devious103102
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:16 AM

If they were older and she did that I'd say yes, but at that age I don't think they'd really understand why all the gifts are being taken away. Rather than taking them ALL I'd make sure they got 1 less gift and explain why.  

My girls (12, 10, 7 and 8 months) all (except for the baby, lol) understand the amount/type of gifts they get is related to their behavior throughout the year (not just at the end of the year), so if they get less gifts or only get clothes and nothing "fun", it's because they weren't on the better behavior I KNOW they're capable off, and we've been doing it this way since they were 5.

Nolanzo
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:17 AM
2 moms liked this
It is absolutely useless to punish children that young two weeks in advance. Effective discipline is swift, immediate, and consequential before the association is lost between action and result.

Foolish.
newmom3917
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:45 AM
I would just make them each donate one of the gifts that they would have gotten. Taking away christmas is pretty harsh especially when it is something that could have been avoided with more supervision, stricter rules, and putting things out of reach. They should learn that what they did was wrong, but it is not completely their fault. And with a new baby coming I'd imagine they are in a way looking for attention because right now everything is probably focused on getting ready for the new baby, and maybe they feel a little left out.
brittany208
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd take away crayon and marker privileges--not Christmas!

MichaelsMom0711
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 11:16 AM
thats WAY too much! Especially if the oldest kid involved was 6! They look so forward to Christmas and Santa coming and stuff, and its not their fault she allowed them enough time to color the whole bassinet. she obviously wasnt paying much attention to 4 kids age 6 and younger so she should consider herself lucky that is all that happened and none of them got hurt or snuck out of the house or anything. I think the best punishment would be make them help clean it, and the new rule would be to color only in one room where she could see them. Even take the crayons and markers away for a day or something.
tiffs2009
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM
My 5 yr old distorted. Her party decorations a week before her party and I said no party then.... She cried and cried. I surprised her with a party anyway.
lulu_tattoos
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I voiced my opinion in the other thread but i'll do it here also.

I think this irrational act of desperation is a pure reflection of the lack of control she has in her home in general. A child's behavior, especially when its more than one child from a family, is a direct reflection of how they're parented. A consistently poorly behaved child is not at fault, the parent is.
Children learn what they live.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommie2twogirls
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:30 PM

wow way extreme! where was she when they were doing this??? I can see being mad, i can see punishment but seriously???? Thats too much!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured