Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Discipline? Too Harsh? (OT) Opinions needed

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is this mother doing the right thing by taking all of christmas(gifts) away from her kids?

Options:

Yes

No!

Thats just wrong

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 91

View Results

Im not pointing any fingers to anyone but I saw a post and im curious to see how many people agree or not agree with this disciplinary act.

A mother of 4 children (2,3,5,6 yr olds) has decided that her children dont deserve to have christmas because they took crayons and markers to a bassinet for her unborn child. Now Im sure as anyone would be pissed about this.

But with the children being so young, do you agree that taking every present for christmas you bought for them back to the store and having no presents under the tree at all is a good idea for discipline?

Why or why isnt it a good idea?

My personal opinion is No. Because these children are young and still have lots to learn. Sure they may know better but they are still in the age of not quite grasping WHY it happened. My 5 yr old has tried a similar thing, she thought it was fun and didnt look at the bigger picture that it would destroy the room and as a punishment I took their freedom in seperate rooms away and anything that involves markers, crayons, paints, or stickers is in my room only to be used when im watching.

Tell me your opinions on this, id love to know. Im not mentioning any names but im trying to get more open honest opinion on this. Thank you

by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Replies (21-30):
MommyShanna2011
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I agree that the punishment does not in the least bit fit the crime. Also, the mother should take some responsibility for being negligent. Children at that age may be learning right from wrong, but developmentally children don't learn cause/effect consequences until they are four or older; and even then, only on an immediate level. Two weeks is a long time and none of them will fully understand why.
Honestly, mom should have been watching her kids better, there should have been a coloring routine/designated area, and the kids should have to help clean up as well as sacrifice coloring privileges.

RedheadMama18
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:50 PM

That's way too harsh.  They should have crayons and markers immediately taken away.  Not a holiday that's still 2 weeks away.  

NannyElin
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:56 PM

im sorry but i just have to say the mother in the origional post clearly states her children have been disrespectful, destructive, and demanding on multiple occasion.... the bassinet coloring was just the icing on the cake. Not meaning to bash either side, just wanting to let the full story be out there.

jewmaw13
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Thats very extream...they are pretty young too so by the time christmas gets here they probably would have forgotten why they were being punished in the first place...so sad =(
Mommap87
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I have 2 kids those ages and yes the children are going to be disrepectful and destructive. They are still in the age of learning from their parents right from wrong. My son(3) breaks toys and my daughter(5) mouths back to me. They start doing the mouthing thing once they get in school, its normal and its our duty as parents to stay on top of it and teach them what is right or wrong. I left that part out because in all honesty, they are too young and are at the stage of learning to push boundries. Thats children for ya lol

Quoting NannyElin:

im sorry but i just have to say the mother in the origional post clearly states her children have been disrespectful, destructive, and demanding on multiple occasion.... the bassinet coloring was just the icing on the cake. Not meaning to bash either side, just wanting to let the full story be out there.

virgochild79
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Wow, that wouldn't even run through my mind to take away Christmas over kids scribbling on a bassinet. I would have disciplined them for that day but, not for the future.

mem82
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 4:15 PM

The parents are at fault if their children are habitually disrespectful. They need a long termdispline overhaul, not a childhood ruining overreaction. The parents who do that with young children are just taking the easy way out because they aren't actually doing anything to change the behavior.

Quoting NannyElin:

mem82
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Heck, it's not like the baby is going to care that it is sleeping in a crayola themed bassinet.

MommyRJ
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM
I do this too. My kids are SO used to it that even special occasions they will NOT eat or color away from the table. My 4yo looked at me last week when I was going to let him have ice cream in tr family room with me and said "no mom. The table!" Lol

Consistency is key. It's not the kids fault she wasn't paying attention.

Quoting Mommap87:

I do the same thing. If you dont have some type of routine or organization they will not learn from it. Stability is key in my opinion

Quoting Rayawni:

We have a rule that paints, crayons, and glue are all done at the kitchen table. They are put away when not in use. Same goes for food unless I will be vacuuming then I don't care if they have a couple chips in the family room. Instead of punishing them that way I would make it a rule that they can only have it in a certain room and have them help me clean the mess up. Most crayons and markers are washable.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BekkieBoodle
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I think its a bit extreme....... However, This morning my 7 yo DD took $1300 out if my bathroom....(I found it in her pocket when I was helping her zip her pants) I think I'm gonna take all the presents from under the tree and tell her that someone must have stole them.... Of corse I'm gonna give them back, but not at first. Shell have to worry all the way until Christmas...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)