Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Discipline? Too Harsh? (OT) Opinions needed

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is this mother doing the right thing by taking all of christmas(gifts) away from her kids?

Options:

Yes

No!

Thats just wrong

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 91

View Results

Im not pointing any fingers to anyone but I saw a post and im curious to see how many people agree or not agree with this disciplinary act.

A mother of 4 children (2,3,5,6 yr olds) has decided that her children dont deserve to have christmas because they took crayons and markers to a bassinet for her unborn child. Now Im sure as anyone would be pissed about this.

But with the children being so young, do you agree that taking every present for christmas you bought for them back to the store and having no presents under the tree at all is a good idea for discipline?

Why or why isnt it a good idea?

My personal opinion is No. Because these children are young and still have lots to learn. Sure they may know better but they are still in the age of not quite grasping WHY it happened. My 5 yr old has tried a similar thing, she thought it was fun and didnt look at the bigger picture that it would destroy the room and as a punishment I took their freedom in seperate rooms away and anything that involves markers, crayons, paints, or stickers is in my room only to be used when im watching.

Tell me your opinions on this, id love to know. Im not mentioning any names but im trying to get more open honest opinion on this. Thank you

by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Replies (31-40):
Byrd15
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I would be upset... But ALL of Christmas is a little much...

Have them all watch as you, the parents, picks one toy for each child, from under the tree, unwraps it, and donates it to Toys for Tots or something. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

lillucky8
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 4:26 PM
I think shes taking it too far. But im not in her shoes so i cant say for sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Heather2001
by Heather on Dec. 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I don't personally agree with that type of discipline.

lhiannan
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 6:55 PM
Idk-I wouldn't want them to associate donating with being punished.

Quoting Byrd15:

Have them all watch as you, the parents, picks one toy for each child, from under the tree, unwraps it, and donates it to Toys for Tots or something. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Byrd15
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I couldnt just take the present back to the store. I'd feel better donating it. 

Quoting lhiannan:

Quoting Byrd15:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

lhiannan
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't have the kids come, then, though I think even that is too harsh, at least for the two younger ones.  The two year old would definitely not make the connection.  Even 5 is pushing it, I think (but it's hard for me to judge, my 5 year old is cognitively delayed and totally wouldn't get that at all).

Quoting Byrd15:

I couldnt just take the present back to the store. I'd feel better donating it. 

Quoting lhiannan:

Quoting Byrd15:

Tiffnkids
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Wow, nope...kids are kids just once... what a mean mom....geesh
soaringflutes
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 8:56 PM

My older sister once covered me in desitin when I was a baby...it's normal for little kids to act out.  That's why they have time outs.

kris0921
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I said No, because there wasnt a I understand why she is, but couldnt do it to my kids. I have thought about doing this with my kids, but the best way to teach a child is to prevent them from making the mistakes IMO!

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 7:15 AM

I don't know that I would have done the same thing.

Do I think it's too much? For my household, it is.

I wouldn't tell this mother that she did wrong by her kids though. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN