Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Excessive Pregnancy Weight Gain...Need Some Support.

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM
  • 13 Replies

Hello ladies.

I am not a frequent visitor of CafeMom as I do not have a computer in my own home..but whenever I have had a chance to look around, I have always found great support and advice from all the women here. So here's my dilemna.

I started around 125 lbs at 5'10'', a very slender girl. I am now 35 weeks along and just weighed in yesterday at a whopping 189 lbs.

Now, of course the Nurse is assuming that I shovel ice cream into my face for every single meal and that McDonalds is my second best friend. Only problem is, she's wrong. :/

I have not been as active as I would have like to have been, because I have had excessive swelling in my legs, hands, face, and come home from work exhausted. I was a runner outdoors, a gym member and also did core training at home. Now it's like I am lucky to have the energy to complete a work day and a meal.

I have a physically demanding 7-3 job that keeps me on my feet, I only eat 3 times a day. And when I do, it's never anything that is outlandishly unhealthy.

I can't say I've been a salad and celery addict, and I do occasionally have my nights when I let my greasy food obsessed (and yet perfectly lean and slender) father to be take me out for a burger, but it's not all the time.'

I think it's the fact that I gained so much weight in so little time, even with being up and around all day, and trying my best to stay away from some of the foods that I really wan that's so discouraging.

It's hard to look at myself in photos anymore, and there's always those different opinions on the weight loss. "Oh, if you breastfeed you'll lose it in a couple months."

Or "You've gotten so big it will probably take you a year."

I think this is one of the bigger things that a lot of women struggle with, and it would just be nice to get some motivation, weight loss stories, opinions, fellow weight gain nightmares...I don't know :). I know at the end of this pregnancy it will all be worth it, but hormones my fellow mamas, they can be a doozy when you have to watch your ass grow....and grow....and grow.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvhubandbabys
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM
I think bfing does help some in my experience and I've ff and bf. The weight came off faster with bfing. But u also gotta eat right.. not much u can do now are u swollen could be water weight. Just drink lots of water and eat healthy. U can lose the weight it may take a while but it can be done. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
needsupport100
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM

i was 125 when i first got pg with dd, 170 when she was born. i NEVER lost the weight. i think the most i lost was 20 lbs. but due to recent pregnancy that was lost and possibly pregnant again. i'm around 170-180 right now. i quit stressing about my slender high school body cause frankly i have to starve my self to get under 150 and i've instead taken pride in my heavier set body-because if i didn't have my dd i wouldn't have my "mommy bod"

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Try and ignore the negative comments.  Also, try to switch your 3 meals to 6 mini meals...it's not easy, but it seems to make a difference.  

Watch carb intake.  I'm required to do this b/c of gestational diabetes, but DH has done it with me and lost almost 10 lbs :)  

Also, remember....you're almost done!  

lulu_tattoos
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM
I have no ideas for slowing down the weight gain, other than what's been mentioned (and smaller meals are healthier than bigger ones anyway).
But my advice is this : its taking you nine months to put on the weight. Give yourself at least nine months to take it off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Bf'ing helps a lot especially in the beginning...but there are some people who say they can't lose that last 5 - 10lbs because the body hangs on to the fat for producing milk! After the birth of my first I found that going on long walks with her did wonders to tone up.

I think weight gain is always an issue for pregnant women...I find in this pregnancy I am craving WAY more than my first....sometimes it helps to wait out the craving, or just shove something healthy in your mouth so you feel satisfied...

...my best advice is to start eating as healthy as you can BEFORE the baby pops, that way when you go back to eating normally, you won't be so tempted to eat fat and calorie rich food. 

Good luck!

mem82
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Breastfeeding actually makes my body hold on to all weight. Blah

If you are eating basically healthy, and go back to exercising, the weight will slide off. Some ladies simply gain more weight with their babies. I'm sure it will slide off if you are doing what you usually do. 8)

jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:32 PM

oh also my mom made me drink all kinds of homemade soups for the first 6 weeks after I gave birth to my DD. I think that helped me lose some of the weight, while still keeping hydrated and eating nutritious food for bf'ing

sparklebug86
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Ive been packing on the pounds too and im only 10ish weeks

It could be alot of water weight on your end?

Devious103102
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM

The weight gain is more than likely water weight/swelling.  With my first daughter I started off around 105-110, and ended up around 190, my doc thought the same thing and, while I didn't eat the BEST of things, I also was constantly on the move.  After she was born, though, I went immediately down to around 150-160 and by my 8w checkup I was already at 130 (which was fine, I looked a lot healthier than I did at 110). 

Aireeahnah
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone so much for their support and lending some of their time to my post. Love to all, hope your Holidays were wonderful :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)